Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: NYers -- Keep yourself out of a New York jail, attend our

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 02:51:34 -0500

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 00:25:39 -0500 (EST)
From: Voters Telecommunications Watch <shabbir () vtw org>

       FREE NOV. 3RD SEMINAR ON NY STATE INTERNET CENSORSHIP BILL

New York State recently passed a bill (S210E) that has a provision in
it that could make you a criminal if you post sexually explicit
material in a public place where a minor might see it.  Your World Wide
Web page, a Usenet posting, your speech in an online chat, or to a
mailing list may be enough to land you in jail.  What's worse, the
person who provides you the service may also be liable as well.  This
includes list maintainers, Internet Service Providers, and newsgroup
moderators.  This law goes into effect on Friday November 1.

On Sunday, November 3rd, we'll be doing our best to preserve free speech and
keep you out of jail.  A talented panel of experts will be available to
dissect the bill for you, tell you about how to avoid prosecution, and
most importantly, tell you about how a challenge might play out in court.

You can attend this seminar in real time on Sunday, or live over the
Internet by listening to the cybercast RealAudio feed and participating
in the interactive chat.  What's more, we'll be giving away *free prizes*
(VTW tshirts and more!) for those who can our free speech trivia  quiz.
Best of all, you can win even if you're participating online as well as
in person!

Check out the online flyer for the event at http://www.vtw.org/speech/
or just show up at:

        Outernet, Inc., home of bway.net
        626 Broadway, Suite 3-A
        (Very close to the Broadway/Lafayette stop on the F train)
        Sunday, November 3rd, noon-2pm
        Cost: free!