Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Rumor Central

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 09:27:07 -0500

Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 12:21:16 +0900
[ The CIAC is the U.S. Department of Energy's Computer Incident Advisory
Capability. Established in 1989, CIAC provides computer security services
to employees and contractors of the United States Department of Energy. djf]

To: farber () cis upenn edu
From: anderson () glocom ac jp (Stephen J. Anderson)

Dave--Did you see this?

My US tax dollars for once financed a useful item; see a new bulletin
about hoax messages that flood our email boxes.

http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/bulletins/h-05.shtml

CIAC is the U.S. Department of Energy's Computer Incident Advisory
Capability.

Established in 1989, CIAC provides computer security services to employees
and contractors of the United States Department of Energy.

This useful memo reads in part:

"Individuals should also be especially alert if the warning urges you to pass
it on to your friends. This should raise a red flag that the warning may be
a hoax. Another flag to watch for is when the warning indicates that it is a
Federal Communication Commission (FCC) warning. According to the FCC, they
have not and never will disseminate warnings on viruses. It is not part of
their job. "

Stephen J. Anderson
URL http://www.glocom.ac.jp/staff/anderson.e.html
Center for Global Communications (GLOCOM)
International University of Japan