Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Borders -- censorship & capitalism

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 16:17:35 -0500

As usual if anyone wants to give a responsible contrary position, like
Borders, I will be happy to forward it to IP djf]

Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 08:36:25 -0400 (AST)
From: Amey, Larry <lamey () Kilcom1 UCIS Dal Ca>

A forwarded message of interest:

Here is a *great* illustration of the greatest threat to free speech and
intellectual freedom today--corporate control, at least as powerful and
insistent as government attempts.
People on this list will especially enjoy the image of the Hoarders (umm,
Borders) execs
censoring speech while under a "Banned Books Week" banner.

Banned by Borders
by Michael Moore

      On November 9, as I write this, I was supposed to have
      been at the Borders bookstore in Fort Lauderdale,
      Florida, speaking and signing copies of my book
      Downsize This! Random Threats from an Unarmed
      American. It was to have been the final stop of my
      forty-seven-city tour. But on October 30 I was told that
      the book-signing had been canceled. The Fort
      Lauderdale Borders had received a memo from its
      corporate headquarters in Ann Arbor, Michigan,
      banning me from speaking or signing at any Borders
      store in the country.

      When I was growing up in Michigan, the original
      Borders was a store that actively championed free
      expression. In fact, when I was publishing the
      Michigan Voice, Borders would carry my paper when
      other establishments would not. Now, Borders is a
      huge nationwide chain, and its "liberal" views have
      earned it the reputation as the "Ben & Jerry's of the
      book chains."

      So why was I banned from Borders? My book was
      doing well. It has been on the New York Times
      best-seller list for a month and was the number two
      best-selling Random House book for the entire Borders
      chain.. I've been banned, I found out, because I made
      the mistake of uttering a five-letter word, the dirtiest
      word in all of corporate America -- "union."

      Back in September, on the second day of my tour,
      when I arrived at the Borders store in downtown
      Philadelphia, I found nearly 100 people picketing the
      place because Borders had fired a woman named
      Miriam Fried. She had led a drive to organize workers
      at the store into a union. The effort failed, and, a few
      weeks later, Miriam was given the boot.

      When I found this out I told the Borders people that I
      have never crossed a picket line and would not cross
      this one. I asked the demonstrators if they wanted to
      take the protest inside. They thought it was a good idea.
      I had no desire to cause a ruckus, so I asked Borders
      management if it was O.K. to allow the protesters in.
      They said yes. So we all came into the store, I gave my
      talk, I gave Miriam the microphone so she could talk,
      everyone behaved themselves and it was a good day all
      around -- including for Borders, which ended up selling
      a lot of books, breaking the record for a noontime
      author at that location. (The record had been held by
      George Foreman, and I now like to tell people only Ali
      and I have beaten Foreman.) I also announced that I
      would donate all my royalties for the day to help Miriam
      out.

      Although Anne Kubek, Borders' corporate V.P. in
      charge of labor relations, had approved my bringing the
      protesters inside, upper management decided that she
      had made a mistake -- and they were going to take it out
      on me. On the following Tuesday I was scheduled to
      speak at the new Borders store in New York's World
      Trade Center. When I arrived, I was met by two
      Borders executives. They had flown in from Michigan
      just to stop me from speaking. The executives, flanked
      by two security guards, explained that I could come into
      the store and sign books, but I would not be allowed to
      talk to the people who had come to hear me. They said
      that the "commotion" I had caused in Philly raised
      "security concerns." I couldn't believe I was being
      censored in a bookstore.

      The Borders manager told the assembled crowd that I
      would not be speaking because "Port Authority police
      and fire marshals have banned all daytime gatherings at
      Borders." When I heard this, I stepped forward and told
      the people this was a lie, that I was forbidden to speak
      because of my support for the workers in Philly. Under
      protest, I signed the books of those who stayed --
      beneath a big banner celebrating "Banned Books
      Week."

      On October 13, I spoke to a large crowd in a Des
      Moines auditorium. After the speech I went out front
      and started signing books. "What store are these from?"
      I innocently asked. "Oh, these are from the local
      Borders," I was told. Well, I thought, they don't mind
      if I make them some money -- as long as it's not on
      their premises! Then someone slipped me an
      anonymous note. It read: "We are employees of the Des
      Moines Borders. We were told that we could not work
      the book table tonight, that only management was
      working the table, because they said they wanted to
      'protect us' from you."

      An hour later, I went out to the parking lot and saw
      some people standing there in the dark -- the employees
      from the Des Moines Borders! They said they were
      hiding out there because they had spotted Borders'
      regional director with another man inside. "He flew in
      to spy on you, or us, or both," they told me. "He saw
      us so we may not have jobs on Monday." (Bookstore
      employees afraid they might be fired for attending a
      public speech at the Herbert Hoover High School
      auditorium!) The executive had not introduced himself
      to me -- or his colleague, who employees believe is a
      unionbusting "consultant" hired by Borders.

      I wished the workers well, and the next night they held
      their first union meeting. The previous week, the
      Borders store in the Lincoln Park section of Chicago
      had become the first Borders in the country to vote in a
      union (United Food and Commercial Workers).
      Recently, workers in Des Moines signed enough cards
      to hold a union election. It is a victory that should
      inspire not only Borders workers but underpaid
      employees everywhere. That's why I am not in Fort
      Lauderdale as I write this. Borders is "protecting" its
      workers from me.

      Well, they're really going to need protection now. First,
      I am donating my royalties from the next 1,000 sales of
      Downsize This! to the organizing drive at Borders.
      Second, I am asking each of you to support the Borders
      workers in your city. Bring up the union when you're
      in the store and thank that kid with the nose ring and
      green hair for helping to revive the labor movement in
      America.

      Note to Borders Executives: If, after this column is
      published, you retaliate by removing my book from
      your shelves, or hiding it in the "humor" section or
      underreporting its sales to the New York Times list, I
      will come at you with everything I've got. You
      sandbagged me in Philly, and the only decent way for
      you to resolve this is to give Miriam Fried her job back
      and let the workers form their union without
      intimidation or harassment.

Larry Amey
Professor
School of Library and Information Studies
Dalhousie University
Halifax, N.S.
Canada
B3H 4H8
902-494-2488(tel) 902-494-2451(fax) e-mail AMEY () IS DAL CA