Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: the state of high speed Europeon R&E metworking -- part 1

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:42:25 -0500

Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 15:34:32 +0000
To: farber () central cis upenn edu
From: Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk (Brian Randell)

Dave:

The claim by many in the USA is that the Europeons cannot get any thing
more than 35 megabits per sec .

Can you tell me more re the UK etc efforts

I've at last managed, thanks to my colleague Denis Russell and his
contacts, to get some factual data to refute the above claim. (I was
surprised that the information was not fairly readily to hand.)

Denis' message is attached below - he is continuing to try to build up a
picture of existing fast networks in Europe, and of planned developments -
and will pass the results on to you.

Cheers

Brian

=======