Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: update on Farber devices and programs etc

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 1996 12:05:13 -0500

I have decided on an irregular basis to report my experiences utilizing the
various computers, communications and software that I find interesting to
use and to give you my current evaluation of these things. As usual note
that opinions change as experience is gathered with them. This was
motivated by the reaction I received to the Philadelphia Inquirer article
(see http://macpond.cis.upenn.edu).

1. I still use my Motorola Startac cellular telephone. It is without doubt
the best designed cellular phone I have ever used. The belt clip and the
small size plus the relatively long life lithium batteries make it a real
winner. Only nit is it should have flipped open with a flip of the wrist
like in Star trek.

2. I am in love with my Toshiba Libretto 20 hand held computer
(http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/1996_04/pr1701.htm). It is a winner
even with the Japanese/English keyboard. The low weight, the fact that it
can fit in a jacket pocket, long battery life, great screen and a real
WIN95 system makes it my favorite carry along. Only limit in this model is
lack of VGA port but that may be fixed in the near future. I have found NO
ONE who has seen it that does not want one. Now to get Toshiba to import
them. BTW Win95 US version works fine and it is now the only pc I travel with.

3. Megahertz ALL Points Ramdata Pcmcia card for pc works fine in the
Libretto, Only nit is it extends too far outside the machine and for some
reason (maybe me) the Libretto does not want to recharge the optional
rechargeable 9 volt battery.  I am trying out RadioMail and Wynd as service
providers and will report soon on my experiences.

4. I am now using Starfish Internet Sidekick on my PC (and Libretto) along
with their very fine Synch package for my Pilot organizer. I have thrown
out the window all the Pilot software along with the Puma synch package and
Lotus Organizer ... I have not yet started to use Sidekick group
appointment stuff (works via email) but intend to start soon. Best package
I have found.

5. My 2 Way pager and I are having a love/hate relationship. I on one hand
like it in principle but find it too big, too limited and too isolated from
the normal paging world. My guess is I will stop using it till Motorola
comes out with their new "web" based unit. Part of my unhappiness is the
server software Skytel runs is still faulty.

That is all for now. More soon as I get experiences with some other devices.

Dave