Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: A Wall Street take on the metered pricing thing

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 12:39:03 -0500

From: "eunice" <eunice () ccgw Tudor Com>

I thought members of the list might be interested in the following.

Archives of Bill Gurley's newsletters can be found at www.upside.com

Eunice Johnson
Analyst
Tudor Investment Corp.
net: eunice () tudor com
vox: 617-772-4642
fax: 617-737-9280

______________________________ Forward Header
__________________________________
Subject: ATC 96-18
Author:  Bill Gurley <bgurley () abovethecrowd com> at ccgw
Date:    11/05/96 03:29 AM

Above the Crowd
Deutsche Morgan Grenfell Technology Group
Newsletter Issue: 96-18
J.William Gurley
bill_gurley () dmgtech com
415-614-1159

USAGE BASED PRICING:NOT IF, BUT WHEN

"And you let go, let go, let go, 'cause you know you're getting
tired. Can you feel it getting down to the wire?"
 - Buffalo Springfield

Regular ATC readers should know by now that we are not big  fans
of the unlimited-use pricing model currently in existence on the
Internet.  With each passing week, congestion problems  continue
to  worsen.   Pacific  Bell (PAC, 34) now claims  that  at  peak
usage,  one in six business calls do not get through as a result
of  jammed  circuits  in the central office  switch.   Also,  an
article last week on CNN Interactive declared, "Soaring Internet
usage  is  bringing  the United States' phone system  perilously
close  to  gridlock  by tying up millions of local  phone  lines
every  evening."  Lastly, our own futile attempts to connect  to
Netcom  (NETC,  15)  in Palo Alto, New York,  and  Austin  would
suggest  that this ISP is running its systems right  up  against
its limits.  We need a fix, and we need it now.

While  we  risk accusations of redundancy, we feel compelled  to
reiterate  our  position  on  pricing.   We  have  a  hard  time
understanding  why  so  many  people  fail  to  understand   the
necessity  and  rationality of usage based  pricing.   When  you
offer  unlimited  use  of  a  limited resource  overcrowding  is
inevitable.    Of  course,  this  isn't  rocket  science,   it's
Economics  101.  We think MCI's (MCIC, 30) Internet  guru,  Vint
Cerf, sums it up best.  "The hill is overgrazed, there's no more
grass, and the sheep die."

Once  you  accept  the wisdom of usage based pricing,  the  next
question is "how do we get there?"  Intense competition  in  the
consumer  Internet  market would seem to  preclude  a  shift  to
clocked  services.   Nonetheless, we see  three  different  ways
where  usage-based pricing could emerge without proactive action
from your local ISP.

The first and most obvious way we move to usage based pricing is
if  the  FCC  decides to levy a modest per-minute access  charge
(perhaps  one-half cent per minute) on data service  connections
from  the central office switch.  As many of you know, the RBOCs
receive  a  hefty 3.25 cents per minute access charge from  long
distance providers, but absolutely zilch from the ISPs.  This is
despite  the  fact  that the average Internet  "call"  typically
lasts  ten times longer than the average phone call.  A proposal
from the FCC is expected in November with a ruling in May.  Once
thought  to  be "out of the question," the FCC now appears  more
amenable to a data service access charge.

If  the  FCC votes down Internet access charges, we will  likely
achieve  data-voice price parity in an alternate way  -- through
the  absolute  removal of access charges.  While  this  decision
would assuredly be "free-market" friendly, it would also start a
chain  reaction  that would likely result in per-minute  pricing
for all telephone calls.

The  removal  or reduction of long-distance access charges  will
unquestionably increase the demand for long-distance services as
a  result  of significantly reduced long-distance pricing  (once
again,  Econ  101).  This increased usage would  put  even  more
pressure  on the already congested central office switch.   Once
this happens, the RBOCs will be left with no alternative but  to
move  to  per-minute pricing on all calls as a way  to  throttle
demand.

Obviously,  a move such as this would be particularly  unpopular
with  consumers and would re-ignite political concerns regarding
universal  service.  However, keep in mind two  things.   First,
most  countries  outside the United States do indeed  have  per-
minute  pricing on local calls.  Secondly, when we designed  the
U.S. telecommunications network, we made a decision to subsidize
local   service  with  hefty  per-minute  long  distance  access
charges.   Now, some want to remove the subsidy, but to continue
to reap its benefits.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Even  if  the FCC fails to restructure access charges, we  could
still  end  up  with  usage based pricing as  a  result  of  the
continuing evolution of ISP peering relationships.  The Internet
grew up in the altruistic world of academia, and the competitive
effects  resulting  from commercialization  have  yet  to  fully
materialize.   As  Hank Williams Jr. likes  to  point  out  "Old
habits like these, are hard to break."

Most  ISPs  interconnect with each other at the  public  peering
points,  also  known as MAEs (Metropolitan Area  Exchanges)  and
NAPs  (Network  Access Points).  It is in these facilities  that
ISPs  exchange data packets which are destined for each  other's
network.   What  is  most  interesting is  that  the  "rules  of
engagement"  for these public interconnect points are  nebulous,
dissimilar, and quite likely to change.

Why  are  these peering relationships so likely to change?   For
starters,  the  public  peering  points  are  one  of  the   key
contributors  to  Internet congestion.  As with  any  "tree  and
branch" architecture, the main trunk is likely to experience the
most  traffic.  However, this is not the only problem.  Some  of
the  larger ISPs are unhappy with smaller ISPs that interconnect
at only a few of the public peering points.

Assume ISP A is a major provider with interconnections at all of
the  major  peering  points.  Now let's  say  that  ISP  B  only
connects at MAE East and MAE West.  If a customer of ISP B  asks
for data from a customer of ISP A located in Chicago, ISP A will
have  to carry those bits through San Francisco, even if  ISP  B
has  a  presence in Chicago.  This is not only inefficient,  but
ISP  A resents the fact that if ISP B were bigger (i.e. had more
peering  points) that it would not have to carry these  bits  as
far.

The  large  ISPs  have  already taken a significant  first  step
toward solving these problems.  Through the use of what is known
as  private  interconnect  points, these  vendors  have  created
several 1-1 tunnels between each other's networks.  Some  people
speculate that vendors such as MCI and AT&T (T, 35)    may  have
as  many  as a hundred private interconnects between  their  two
networks.   When  data  passes between these  two  vendors,  the
public peering points never come into question.  Moreover,  data
packets spend the majority of their time on the network of their
own  service provider, as each ISP can off-load packets  to  the
alternate ISP at the earliest possible point.

If  you have not heard about private interconnect points,  there
is  likely  a  reason.  Out of fear of these arrangements  being
considered  collusive by the public, the  FCC,  or  the  Justice
department,  most of these arrangements have been secured  under
NDA (non-disclosure agreement).   As such, it is hard to find an
executive that is willing to talk about them.

Looking   forward,   we  think  the  ISP  world   could   change
significantly.   Once a player such as MCI  can  create  private
interconnect agreements with the five or ten largest ISPs,  they
could  then abandon the public peering points altogether.   This
would  obviously be a shocking move, but it would  significantly
improve  the  performance of the MCI backbone.  Of course,  this
would  isolate  several smaller ISPs, their customers,  and  any
content  that was on those networks.  However, MCI could  simply
state  that these ISPs are not carrying their fair share of  the
backbone load and could encourage those ISPs to become customers
of  MCI.  Once they became customers, they would then again have
full  access to the network, albeit with MCI in control  of  the
cost  of that access.  Of course, we use MCI only as an example,
as any of the larger ISPs could push forward similar action.

Just  in  case you think this is all Oliver Stone-ish, we  would
like  to provide you a quote from the prospectus of Digex (DIGX,
10 7/8) a smaller ISP which recently went public.  "Although the
company  currently meets those requirements (regarding peering),
there  is  no  assurance that other national ISPs will  maintain
peering relationships with the Company.  In addition, there  may
develop  increasing  requirements  associated  with  maintaining
peering with the major national ISPs with which the Company  may
have to comply."  It is our impression that a major move such as
the  one  speculated above would move us closer to  usage  based
pricing.   In  such  a world, more ISPs would become  customers,
allowing a few large players to dictate pricing.

If  you  think that is interesting, we would like to  leave  you
with  one  more thing to consider.  We have heard from  multiple
sources that MTV (VIA, 35) conveyed to Netcom that it would need
to pay $1 per customer per year, if Netcom wanted to ensure that
Netcom  customer's  could access the MTV  site.   While  we  can
certainly  argue  over whether or not MTV's site  commands  that
much  leverage, the idea of a content provider dictating  access
pricing is surely something new to think about.

Above  the  Crowd is a bi-weekly publication focusing on the
evolution  and economics of the Internet.  It is distributed
through First Call, fax and email.   To be placed on the
distribution list contact your Deutsche  Morgan Grenfell
salesperson  or send email to atc-request () abovethecrowd com with
the word "subscribe" in the body.  As always, feedback is both
welcomed and encouraged.  ABOVE THE CROWD is a service mark of J.
William Gurley.