Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Dole should read more (from Patnews)

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 16:33:44 -0500

 By now, everyone knows that Clinton won reelection.  Michael Evans, an
economist who writes for Industry Week, has an interesting reason why Dole
had no chance (basically he had no clue).  In his column of November 4th,
he poses a really interesting, who-said-that question.  He writes, who said:
                "There is too much bashing of everyone in the
                Republican party.  So many people are gay -
                or go both ways.  I don't care.  I don't want
                to heard about it.  And I don't want to hear
                about abortion.  That's people own business.
                Fifty percent of all families are single parent.
                65% of all women work.  We can't crap on them.
                We've got to reach out - and mean it."
You'll never guess who said that, and I bet, neither does Dole.  And he lost.

(Goes on to say quote is from Richard Nixon)