Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Clipper III online now

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 22 May 1996 14:47:28 -0400

Date: Wed, 22 May 96 10:24:29 PDT
From: "Willis H. Ware" <willis () rand org>

--
Folder: YES

--
Stanton:

Dave Farber also forwarded your message, and I answered him before I had
seen yours.  I said as below because it is important to keep the finger
pointing at the right source. Perhaps you framed your message
offhandedly, or perhaps you have not yet seen the document but concluded
that it came from NIST because Elaine Frye announced it.

The cover memo is on OMB stationary.  I haven't checked Pat Farrell's site
yet but if the cover memo is not included, it ought to be added.

In fact, unless one has the cover memo that comes with the doc, it isn't
clear what the source is.  Maybe I'm pinging you unfairly?? :-)

                                                          Willis

==============
  >> ....................................thanks to Pat Farrell, the NIST
  >> draft Clipper III plans are now online:

  NO, Dave, NO; bum wrap.  It is not the NIST plan at all.  It is the output
  of the Interagency Working Group on Cryptographic Policy, and signed out by
  Bruce McConnell and Ed Appel, co-chairs of it.  I don't recall whether NIST
  is a member of the IAWG (probably is) but certainly this current May 20,
  1996 document is NOT a proposal by NIST on its own initiative.

  It should be seen as, and is in fact, an Administration document and
  proposal, a follow-on to the prior Clipper attempts.

  The message announcing the doc came from NIST because NIST happens to
  maintain an e-mailing list on the subject and as a courtesy to people.

                                          Willis