Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Wonderful Japanese e-mail

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 09:54:21 -0400

Date: Mon, 13 May 1996 09:33:38 -0400
From: Bill Press <wpress () cfa harvard edu>
To: farber () central cis upenn edu

Dave, thought this deserves consideration as an IP item.  The message
is not from me, but from someone personally known to me.  I have
removed identifying information because of his supplier-customer
relationship.

Cheers,
Bill Press

Subject: Wonderful Japanese e-mail

     This may not make sense to those among you who are non-programmers,
     but I thought it was so priceless as a distillation of Japanese
     corporate culture that I couldn't resist.

     The following is an excerpt from an "e-mail footer" I received on an
     e-mail from one of our Japanese customers:

     .
     .
     .
     // while(alive)
     //     {
     //       myself += try(best)
     //     }
     .
     .
     .

     Note: This "loop" will execute until "while(alive)" is no longer true.