Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: FIRST-EVER COMPUTER WIRETAP BAGS BUENOS AIRES HACKER

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 10:34:11 -0500

Since the article is copyrighted, I have abstracted the first two
paragraphs. More can be obtained by http://www.newshare.com:9999/cs/home.html

One silly question, this kid broke into "secure" military sites. Why was it
that easy to do? Who is being roasted at those sites? I used to say "when
will be wake up to the security problem" but after the meetings I have
attended, I think we have woken up. Now is the time to start serious
research to fix it.

Dave

               AN AMERICAN REPORTER SPECIAL REPORT
+
by Joe Shea
American Reporter Correspondent
Hollywood, Calif.
3/29/96
hacker
924/$9.24

             FIRST-EVER COMPUTER WIRETAP BAGS BUENOS AIRES HACKER
                                by Joe Shea
                       American Reporter Correspondent

        WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The first authorized computer network wiretap
has led to charges against a 21-year-old computer hacker who used the
Internet and Harvard University's computer system to break into Pentagon
and NASA computers.
        Attorney General Janet Reno and Massachussetts U.S. Atty. Donald
K. Stern said said Jacob Ardita, a Buenos Aires university student who ran
a computer BBS called "Scream" ("griton" in Spanish) was caught in part by
a search for his online moniker in another BBS whose files were posted to
the Net.  A warrant for Ardita's arrest has been issued.