Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Malaysia: Is this "No" censorship ?

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 1996 09:14:59 -0500

So much for an open net in Malaysia -- djf

           * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
           *            POSTED WITH PERMISSION               *
           *    Copyright Star Publications (Malaysia) Bhd   *
           *   The Star Online,  http://www.jaring.my/star/  *
           * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

   By Azman Awalludin

   JOHOR BARU: Those making libellous and disparaging remarks about the
   country via the Internet will be penalised under new regulations being
   studied by the Government.

   Information Minister Datuk Mohamed Rahmat said such an action would be
   taken based on reports by a proposed regulatory body to be set up to
   monitor Internet usage here.

   "We are aware that some people in the country are using their
   homepages to discredit the country.

   "While we have our homepages to rebut such allegations . . . there is
   a need to review existing laws and introduce new provisions to act
   against defaulters.

   "When the new regulations are introduced, those found to have acted
   against the country through lies and libellous statements will face
   the music," he told The Star at a joint Hari Raya and Chinese New Year
   celebrations organised by the Pulai Barisan Nasional here yesterday.

   He was commenting on an article in The Star which stated that the
   electronic bulletin board, soc. culture. malaysia, was being used to
   spread rumours, racist remarks and uncensored statements on local
   happenings, especially politics.