Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: this is how you can get machines into the schools

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 1996 10:26:23 -0500

         CONCORD, Calif (Reuter) - President Clinton Saturday kicked
off a drive to put computers in classrooms throughout California
and said the work by some 20,000 volunteers was ``putting the
future at the fingertips'' of students.
         Clinton said NetDay96, a cooperative effort by business,
school districts, parents and students -- which involved
installing 6 million feet of computer cable at public and
private schools -- was an inspiration to the nation.
         ``In a way, NetDay is a modern version of an old fashioned
barn-raising,'' Clinton said at an outdoor address to about
3,000 people at Ygnacio Valley High School.
         ``Government is not doing this alone, nor is business nor
can schools do it alone. All of us are joining together,'' said
Clinton, telling the volunteers that ``what you are doing today
is America at its very best and is guaranteeing America's
future.''
         Clinton and Vice President Al Gore later helped run strands
of cable wire through the high school to expand its access to
the Internet to the library and five classrooms. Access had been
limited to its computer lab.
         Under NetDay96, a project Clinton has been promoting as a
model for the nation, volunteers went to one-fifth of
California's 13,000 public and private schools to install
donated kits to provide access to the information superhighway.
         ``We are putting the future at the fingertips of your
children and we are doing it together in the best American
tradition,'' Clinton said.
         Noting the profound changes facing society, Clinton said
that ``the microchip and the global marketplace are opening up
undreamed of prospects but real challenges.''
         ``If we want to keep the American dream alive for every
single person who is willing to work for it, we know that more
than ever before we have to give all Americans the skills ...
they need,'' Clinton said.
         ``We must not send our children into the 21st century
unprepared for the world they will inhabit and the jobs they
will have to fill,'' he said.
         Public opinion polls show that the majority of Americans
feel uneasy about their futures and those of their children, in
part because of the rapid changes brought about by technology.
         Clinton, who is expected to face a tough re-election
campaign, has been trying to establish himself as the person
Americans would want to lead them into the next century.
         He has been increasingly stressing the challenges and
opportunities of the ever expanding reach of computers as Senate
Majority Leader Bob Dole, who is 72, re-establishes his
front-runner status for the Republican presidential nomination.
          Clinton has called for the creation of a $2 billion fund
that would be used to encourage matching donations from the
private sector to bring computer technology to classrooms across
the nation.
         The estimated cost of wiring a single classroom is $2,800,
making it prohibitive for most school districts. Most of the
cost has been eliminated under the NetDay96 project because of
corporate donations and volunteers.
         John Gage, chief scientist for Sun Microsystems and
co-founder of NetDay96, hailed the initial results of the
project -- which was promoted mostly on the Internet.
         ``It's something new,'' Gage said, ``an alliance between
industry, labor, teachers, students and parents who are driving
forward to do something.''
         The project generated support from a broad range of
sponsors, including AT&T, America On Line, Apple, MCI, Netcom,
Pacific Telesis, Sprint and the Communication Workers of
America.
         Gore urged the volunteers at the event ``to spread the
word'' about bringing computers to schools. ``You are part of a
phenomenon that will take the United States by storm.''
    After the morning ceremony, Clinton played a round of golf
before attending an evening fundraiser for the Democratic
National Committee in the wealthy town of Hillsborough, Calif.
White House officials said they expected to raise at least
$250,000 from the event.
         Clinton was due to return to Washington early Sunday morning.