Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: "Microsoft Sees A Major Shift For Computers." John

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 20:04:00 -0400

Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 16:57:51 -0700
To: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
From: tesler () apple com (Larry Tesler)

You could wait for that, or you could download Cyberdog for free onto your
PowerMac right now from http://www.cyberdog.apple.com.

Cyberdog was first demonstrated in May 1995.  It was released in May 1996.
The 1.0 version does most of what is described below.  The 1.1 version (now
in beta) does more of it.  Add the Project X technology we have been
demonstrating since May and it goes beyond what is described below.

Windows watchers could get their stories written earlier by seeing what is
happening on the Mac.

Larry

From Cyberpunk list:

7-22-96. NYP, Page One:

  "Microsoft Sees A Major Shift For Computers." John Markoff
     MS is preparing to release new software that would bring
     the most fundamental change to personal computers since
     the machines were invented in the 1970's. Demonstrated
     last week and to be distributed free to the public, the
     software is designed to blend the multimedia technology
     of the Web with Windows 95. PCs would treat each parcel
     of material as a document with all the stand-alone
     capabilities of a Web page. Each of these documents
     would have hyperlinks so that the creator of a document
     could make it available for reading, listening or
     viewing anywhere on the Web.

     "This is going to make enormous changes possible," said
     Jesse Berst, editor of Windows Watcher. "It's analogous
     to the advent of the automobile." "We're moving into a
     new world; we now have a new metaphor," said John Seely
     Brown, director of the Xerox Corporation's Palo Alto
     Research Center.

     A potentially troublesome aspect to Microsoft's new
     thrust is the extent to which it will further blur the
     distinctions between data that sit safely on a person's
     own computer and data flowing around the Internet. While
     certain measures of privacy and security control are
     built into Microsoft's current and planned software, it
     is still working to develop better security for Internet
     software.