Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Alleged Microsoft shenanigans

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 20:34:17 -0400

Please note Tim's company markets a web server djf

From: "Tim O'Reilly" <tim () ora com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 13:58:07 PDT
To: farber () central cis upenn edu
Subject: Microsoft shenanigans

Your readers might be interested in knowing about the following
"feature" planned for NT Workstation 4.0.  It's clearly an abuse of
Microsoft's operating system monopoly to compete in the
application space.

In quick summary, they give away IIS (Internet Information
Server) as a "free" web server on Windows NT server.  But lots
of people have been happily using competing servers such
as WebSite with NT Workstation.  So now they are crippling the
next release of NT Workstation so people will have to buy NT
Server if they want to run any web server on NT.