Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Has the IETF outlived its Usefulness?

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 14:59:06 -0400

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 1996 13:46:02 -0400 (EDT)
From: Gordon Cook <cook () netaxs com>
To: ietf () ietf org

In comments today on the Internet Law & Policy Forum mail list today
(actually on Thursday 7/11/96) Tony Rutkowski seems to be saying that the
IETF has outlived its usefulness.  I include these comments within this
post.  I would appreciate list members reaction to them.

First let me quickly set the context.  There is a pretty interesting power
struggle going on....one with possibly significant implications for the
survival of the IETF in its present form.

The Internet Law and Policy Forum is
initiating a global proceding to fashion a plan to implement new top level
domain name registries.  This is being discussed partly on the iltf
news () eclips osc edu list and partly on the newdom () iiia org list.  The ILPF
is promoting its ability to solve this problem for the Internet community
in opposition to John Postel's RFC that would set up new TLD services
under the ISOC.

Now the ILPF has some interestingweb pages at
http://www.discovery.org/iltf.html

If list readers haven't visited this site I urge them to.

Basically ILPF is an organization of the lawyers of the large corporations
who are setting themselves up as an internet governing body with "working
groups" modeled on the IETF and as ones who are there to help us all by
developing the "working legal code for the internet."  The way they choose
to do this is pretty interesting.  Here is an exchange of comments from
the iltf-news () eclips osc edu list today.  My concern with what is going on
is that I believe that the ILPF folk (who are so far refusing to divulge
the list of attendees at their innaugural meeting at Netscape headquarters
this January) are mis-representing their process as the functional
equivalent of the IETF process.

I am reluctant to raise issues on this list because I am only a journalist
and not a working member of the IETF.  In discussing my concerns with a
senior member of the IETF I asked whether he thought it appropriate to
share this material with you.  He answered yes.  So here it is.