Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: cost of parking

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 16:44:56 -0500

Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 13:42:12 -0800

Dave,

 I received a junk fax last PM from some outfit called: Maaznet
 Directory Services in Lafayatte, CA (contact: jfield () 555-1212 com)
 with the following (much puffery removed):

Stake your name on the INTERNET!

Protect your name, or lose it! ....
Now is the time to register!- ....

YES! Check if my name is still available. If it is, REGISTER it for me!

First Choice________________.com

Second Choice________________.com

Please include $195 fee per name registered ($100 Official filing fee
which covers two years, $45 set up fee and $50 two year holding fee to
Maaznet.) I understand that Maaznet will hold this address on two
Internet-connected computers, as required by the regulatory authorities,
for two years, after which I will be required to pay an additional fee
of $75 per year (currently $50 official fee and $25 Maaznet fee). I am
under no obligationto pay these continuing charges if I no longer
require my name to be held. I may request that Maaznet re-position my
name to any other server, including my own server, at any time without
any additional charges. The party requesting registration of his name
certifies that, to his/her knowledge, the use of this name does not
violate trademark or other statutes.

 Seems like the Net has provided yet another clever entrepreneur a new
 way to make a buck... parking domain names on the InfoBahn...