Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: TollRoad (CA 91) and anonymity (fwd)

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 10:40:23 -0500

From gregbrooks () earthlink net Thu Jan 25 12:30:45 1996
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 1996 09:39:18 -0800
To: dc () panix com
From: gregbrooks () earthlink net (Greg B.)
Subject: Re: Tolls and private highways (was: Re: private highway?)

that has been posted as well.

[please post my response to the appropriate usenet groups -- I'm at work
and only have email here at my office.]

[1] How easy is it to clone a valid toll box thingie (the thing you buy
   and put in your car) ?    Such cloning has been a problem with
   cellular phones.

There's a custom chip inside the transponder, so cloning is going to be
pretty much impossible without access to a supply of those chips.
Additionally, the communications between the transponder and the antenna
array, as well as between the array and our computer system, are encrypted.

[2] How actually does one buy a toll thingie and put money into an account ?
   Are they on sale at 7-11 or gas stations, or where ?

We offer the transponders via mail (you can call an 800 number for an
application) and via a customer-service center for walk-ins. There's some
talk of exploring mass market channels, but nothing firm yet.

[3] How does one add more money to a thingie ?  Or does one add money
   to an account, and leave the thingie unchanged ?

The thingie remains unchanged. (Sounds prophetic, no?) When you sign up for
an account and transponder, here's what happens: If you sign up for a
credit-card account, we take an imprint of your card in lieu of a deposit
on the transponder, and we start your account off with a minimum balance of
$40. You, as a customer, agree to let us go back to your credit card and
replenish the account based on a pre-agreed amount when the balance reaches
a minimum level (typically $10). We also do the same for checking accounts
(automatic withdrawl) and have cash options for those customers who aren't
comfy with recurring automatic transactions on their card or account. The
replenishment of the accounts is system-based -- that is, you don't need to
physically bring your transponder in for a "fill up."

[4] If one is required to give a name when setting up an account
   is it an offense to give a false name ?

We have an anonymous account option.

[5] I have concerns about the privacy of the information collected
   about who goes where when.  I suspect that your company will comply
   with a court order or search warrant rather than dual to the death with
   the SWAT team.   How often and how thoroughly do you purge your
   records ?

Our records are much like those kept by the phone company -- they're sealed
to the public and to official requests that aren't accompanied by a court
order. One area where we're actually more concerned about privacy than the
state of California is in the area of mailing lists. Quite simply, we'll
never sell our customer list to anyone for any reason -- but even the state
DMV sells lists. We don't ever purge our records.

[6] How many intersections/on/off/ramps are there ?

The project is a true express lanes configuration -- no intermediate
access. Basically, you get on at one end and get off 10 miles later.
Flexible channelizers form the barrier between the freeway and the project,
so in an emergency you could get out if you needed to.

[7] What is the speed limit and who set it  ?

Because the project was dedicated as part of the state highway system
before we opened to the public, the speed limit is the same as the adjacent
freeway -- 65 mph.

[8] What is the largest/heaviest/most-wheeled vehicle you accept ?

No trucks hauling boats or large horse trailers. No 18-wheelers. Bobtail
trucks are OK, I believe (I'll double-check this).

Hope this helps!

//greg brooks
gregbrooks () earthlink net