Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Finland Diary 5 Jan 1996 -- a small addition

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 09:55:51 -0500

From the Director

Next day I met with the Director of the Information Systems portion of

Tekes. It is their Governmental organization which funds industrial and

academic high risk applied technology research -- the Finish Academy funds

pure basic research. Finland is in the first group relative to governmental

funding of R&D as a percentage of GNP. A large part of their money goes to

information related activities. They fund little military research and said

there is very little of that done in Finland. The Director pointed out that

the EC contribution to European research is small compared to the national

contributions and when I said it was, in my opinion there to build a

European Science culture, he agreed completely.

Finland has moved to the first "group" as for the _total_ R&D input. However,

it is fact the share of the private sector that has risen even more rapidly

than that of the public sector. Compared to most OECD countries, and especially

the US, the governmental funding is not that high at all.