Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: `Ghost of ENIAC' haunts UPenn [and Al gore djf]

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 13:17:52 -0500

---------------------------
`Ghost of ENIAC' haunts U.
---------------------------

By Jaclyn LaPlaca
The Daily Pennsylvanian
Thursday, February 15, 1996
---------------------------

Vice-President Al Gore was not the only visitor on campus yesterday.
The "ENIAC ghost" made a mysterious appearance at the University's
Graphics Lab in the Moore Building yesterday afternoon.

Gore was in the middle of a photo shoot at the lab, the original room
where ENIAC was invented, when some unusual events occurred.

According to Shawn, a professor in the Computer Science
Department--who requested that his last name be withheld--the spirit
of ENIAC expressed itself though the medium of computers.

"I am the ghost of ENIAC," said the computerized voice of the ghost.
"I will not rest until the freedom of the press is restored on the
Internet!"

The professor said he felt the ghost was disturbed by the passage of the
Communications Decency Act in the recent telecommunications reform law.

According to Shawn, Gore did not react to the mysterious voice.

-----

(Note:  the ghost was misquoted by the DP -- this was corrected above)