Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: DoJ admits ban of abortion discussion is out [read first

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 1996 08:25:01 -0500

    [Blue Ribbon]

     [1063] FLASH: PARTIAL COURT VICTORY, DOJ NOT TO ENFORCE IMMEDIATELY

"Declan B. McCullagh" <declan () CMU EDU>

Subject: FLASH: Partial court victory, DoJ not to enforce immediately
From: "Declan B. McCullagh" <declan () CMU EDU>
Cc: emilyaclu () aol com
Date: Thu,  8 Feb 1996 18:05:38 -0500 (EST)

According to the ACLU, Judge Buckwalter this afternoon heard our motion
for a temporary restraining order to prohibit enforcement of portions of
the telecom law. The DoJ has agreed *not* to enforce the "indecent" or
"patently offensive" provisions for seven days. (However, material
online during these seven days *can* be prosecuted eventually -- the DoJ
wouldn't agree not to
prosecute.)

The U.S. Government has conceded that the abortion provisions of the law
are unconstitutinal and will not be enforced. They have not yet put
this in writing.

Judge Buckwalter gave the DoJ until next Wednesday, February 14, to
respond in writing to our motion. The court will rule on it then.