Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: kids and online services

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 19:36:38 -0500

Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 15:52:44 -0800
From: Brendan Kehoe <brendan () zen org>

Hi Dave!  I was wondering if you could do me a big favor and pass this on to
the folks on IP?

With Victoria Mixon, I'm working on a book about kids and the Net, tentatively
titled, "Zen and the Art of the Internet: A Parent's and Educator's Guide".
(It may be "Children and the Art of the Internet", we still have to work that
tiny bit out.)  It covers child safety, integrating the Net into the
classroom, how schools can get connected, how to do up an Acceptable Use
Policy, and other things.  (Including a list of useful Net resources to use to
get started.)

In it, we use a full chapter on various safety issues---the rules to make,
software packages that are available, etc.  I'd also like to include some info
about the various online services that are out there; i.e., what AoL, Prodigy,
CompuServe, et al., each have to let parents keep some semblance of control
over what their kids encounter on them.  I'd also love to find out about any
services or projects outside the U.S. involved in this sort of thing.  So far,
there haven't been any that are easily discovered.

The trouble that I've had is trying to find the best person for each of those
services to talk to, other than starting out with postmaster@wherever.  I can
figure it out for AoL and Prodigy, just because I have accounts for each; any
others, including CompuServe, are just a guessing game.  (I know that
CompuServe is using CyberPatrol at some level, but I'm not sure how folks
actually use it through them.)

Any and all help on this topic (or the others) would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,
Brendan

--
Brendan Kehoe                                                  brendan () zen org

Web page: http://www.zen.org/~brendan/