Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Dick Eastman's transatlantic rescue - a real story

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 1996 08:50:45 -0500

From: Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk (Brian Randell)

Dear colleagues:

Just in case any of you missed the story, follow this URL to the full text=
 - it
makes dramatic reading!

http://www-cgi.cnn.com/TECH/9602/internet_rescue/ken.html

The above was just sent me by soneone who uses the Compuserve Genealogy
forum - which is moderated by Dick Eastman, someone I've corresponded with
quite  bit.

It is a graphic record of the messages that were exchanged over the forum,
when someone in Scotland was having a stroke, and of the (successful)
efforts made to trace him and get emergency help to him. The text is copied
below.

Cheers

Brian

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Excerpts of on-line conversation
from CompuServe's Genealogy Forum on February 20, 1996

February 22, 1996
Web posted at: 1:30 p.m EST (1830 GMT)

     * Ken Walker (Scot)    | Helo . . .have broblemd , , ,thhimk I am
                            | wayin g stroke
       Vickie (Elam) White  | too many kids using parents' account
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | You have to sleep with crumbs, does that work
                            | in
                            | the bathtub, too?
       Dick Eastman/SYSOP   | Sandra: If you have the User ID (address) of
                            | the person then we can put a stop to it.
       Jim Claunch / KS     | you sleep in the bathtub?
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Ken are you serious?,  I'm worried.
       sandra Ellis         | I believe I saw name when I signed on
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | Ken--I wouldn't joke about that
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | No, Jim, just crumbs in the bathtub.
       Richard O. White     | A crumb, is a crumb, is a crumb.
       Jim Claunch / KS     | never been called a crumb before
       Dick Eastman/SYSOP   | Sandra: Any info you can give will help. Easy
                            | if we have the User ID (address) but quite
                            | often
                            | we can find it by name.
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | I've been called worse.
       Jim Claunch / KS     | yeah?
     * Ken Walker (Scot)    | Help: I think I a stroke . . .is not  wind
                            | you. Please somebody help
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Ken, are you there?
       Betty Clay           | Sandra, if you can get the ID number, it is
                            | better.  If in CO,
                            | you can set Who's Here to give you the ID.
     * Ken Walker (Scot)    | Dot HEP
       Dick Eastman/SYSOP   | Sandra: Any Genealogy Forum sysop can lock a
                            | miscreant out of the Genealogy Forum. If it's
                            | a serious problem we notify CompuServe
                            | Security and they have greater powers.
       sandra Ellis         | I tried to find in member list no luck any
                            | other way?
       Ken Walker (Scot)    | Please Help
       Karon Bosze/VA       | Ken's in Scotland....Arobrath or
                            | something like that.
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | How can we help?
       Dick Eastman/SYSOP   | Hi Ken. How may we help?
       Betty Clay           | Sandra, if they are using a 'nickname' it
                            | gets hard - but if we
                            | have the ID number, we can locate their names
                            | easily.
      * Ken Walker (Scot)   | Help I think I have had a stroke HELP
       sandra Ellis         |      sexual connetations.
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Can you use your phone with the computer on?
      * Dick Eastman/SYSOP  | Ken: Where are you? Your telephone number???
       Betty Clay           | Ken, where are you?
       Richard O. White     | Dick, is this guy serious?
       Diane Schoelles      | Dick:  Is there a way you can lookup Ken's
                            | member
                            | data?
      * Ken Walker (Scot)   | Help me . . . please . . .
      * Dick Eastman/SYSOP  | Ken: Your phone number???????
      * Ken Walker (Scot)   | HELP ME SOMEBUDY HELP
      * Dick Eastman/SYSOP  | Ken: YOUR PHONE NUMBER?
       Jim Claunch / KS     | ken, why don't you hang up and dial 911
       Betty Clay           | Ken's ID is 74563,1543
       Vickie (Elam) White  | Jim, he is in Scotland
                            | rural area
      * Ken Walker (Scot)   | (0241) 430045
       Diane Schoelles      | Jim:  Ken is in Scotland.  Do they have 911
                            | there?
      * Dick Eastman/SYSOP  | Ken's ID is 101540,2040
                            | OK everyone, I'm calling
       Betty Clay           | Oops, sorry.  I missed it!
       Vickie (Elam) White  | Ken, what town are you in?
      * Ken Walker (Scot)   | HELP ME . . IS A WIND UP
       Betty Clay           | Ken, Dick is calling for help now.
                            | Ken, where in Scotland are you?
       Richard O. White     | What is "is a wind up"?
       Vickie (Elam) White  | Ken is an Anglican priest I think
                            | don't know if he lives at the church rectory
                            | or not
       Betty Clay           | Ken, are you still here?
       Richard O. White     | Ken, What city are you in?
      * Ken Walker (Scot)   | nO WIND UP
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Ken, stay with us until Dick gets back.
       Sharon Arnold/TX     | Ken:  what is your phone
                            | number?
       Vickie (Elam) White  | Ken, what town are you in?
      * Ken Walker (Scot)   | LEAVING C-SERVE
       Vickie (Elam) White  | Ken, no stay
       Betty Clay           | Ken, where are you.  Stay.  Dick is getting
                            | help.
      * Ken Walker (Scot)   | LL (01241) 430045
       Betty Clay           | Thanks for the number, Ken.
                            | Can you tell us your town, or nearest town?
       Vickie (Elam) White  | His phone # won't help us
                            | We need to know what town he's in
                            | so we can get police
                            | or ambulance
     *  Ken Walker (Scot)   | I stay in the town of Arbroath which is on
                            | the North East Coast of Scotland
       Vickie (Elam) White  | OK Ken.
     *  Ken Walker (Scot)   | 16B HIGH TREET
       Vickie (Elam) White  | What symptoms are you having?
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Dick, did you get that address?
       Karon Bosze/VA       | I'll be back shortly.  Calling Bedford,
                            | UK.
     *  Ken Walker (Scot)   | No concentratio . . .ax't=3D
       Fran Ames/CA         | ATH0
       Dick Eastman/SYSOP   | I am on phone with emergency operator in
                            | Scotland
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Good.
     *  Ken Walker (Scot)   | Can' ooperate left and right hans
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Ken, keep on with us.
       Betty Clay           | Hang on, Ken.  Dick is getting help.
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | Hey guys son knocked me off computer what
                            | happened with Ken?
     *  Ken Walker (Scot)   | NO WINF UP . . .HONEST
       Vickie (Elam) White  | Dick is calling emergency #
       Betty Clay           | Ken is still with us, and Dick is talking
                            | with emergency
                            | operator in Scotland.
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Ken, just an Ok will help us know you are
                            | there.
      * Dick Eastman/SYSOP  | hang on
       Vickie (Elam) White  | OK Ken, we know
       Diane Schoelles      | Mary:  Says he has had a stroke
       Vickie (Elam) White  | we believe you
       Betty Clay           | Ken - does No WIND UP mean you are not
                            | playing - you are
                            | serious?
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | Ken give your symptoms
       Vickie (Elam) White  | Ken, can you go unlock your door? To let
                            | police in?
                            | Or ambulance?
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | Are you using only one hand now?
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | It's OK Vickie, they'll get in.
                            | Don't worry about the door.
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | Did he tell us town he is in
     *  Dick Eastman/SYSOP  | AMBULANCE IS DISPATCHED
       Vickie (Elam) White  | Mary, yes we have address
       Fran Ames/CA         | Not that I know of, desc of William AMES
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Yes, Mary we have all that.
       Ken Walker (Scot)    | God is my judge . . .ni windup . .wind up
     *  Dick Eastman/SYSOP  | TO 16B HIGH STREET, ARBROATH, SCOTLAND
       Vickie (Elam) White  | Thanks Dick
       Diane Schoelles      | Thank you, Dick
     *  Dick Eastman/SYSOP  | Wow!
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Yay!, Dick!
       Betty Clay           | Right!  WOW!
     *  Ken Walker (Scot)   | thank you all
       Michael Mac Cannell  | Wow!
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | Hope he lets us know when he gets help
       Vickie (Elam) White  | Ken, stay with us
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Ken, help is on the way!
       Sharon Arnold/TX     | Fast reactions on your part Dick.
       Betty Clay           | I hope someone does!  We'll want to know that
                            | help got
                            | there.
     *  Dick Eastman/SYSOP  | Ken: hang up and call 012 4187 2222
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | Thank God Dick on conf tonight
       sandra Ellis         | Good job Dick
       Ken Walker (Scot)    | Help meeeeeeeeeeeee
     *  Dick Eastman/SYSOP  | I will call emergency operator back in one
                            | hour. She said she would have news by then.
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Ken, can you see this message.
       Dick Eastman/SYSOP   | Ken: Ambulance is on the way
     *  Ken Walker (Scot)   | ok
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Good, Ken
       Fran Ames/CA         | William AMES is he is, we're related :)
     *  Ken Walker (Scot)   | thsnkd all
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | Ken what is happening to you numbness or
                            | weakness on one side
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Are they there already?
       Betty Clay           | Ken, we will be looking for good new about
                            | you.
      * Dick Eastman/SYSOP  | Ken:  Hang on... all will be OK
      * Ken Walker (Scot)   | ken . . bag coorinstiom
       sandra Ellis         | Ken I am praying for you.
       Fran Ames/CA         | Scotsman are tough...
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Ken, God is with you.
       Ken Walker (Scot)    | The keyboar is metting
       Kaj v. Kasz_bik /NY  | Good Evening all.
       Betty Clay           | Hi, Kaj.
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | Ken can you move?/
     *  Ken Walker (Scot)   | ITs wot working
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Kaj, we are having a bit of crisis, just
                            | watch.
       gabby/IN             | HI
       Nan/FL               | Ken told us the other night that he had 4
                            | children--is
                            | he all alone?
     *  Dick Eastman/SYSOP  | Ken: All is OK, hang on.
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | Are your arms legs working
     *  Ken Walker (Scot)   | i am alone
       Kaj v. Kasz_bik /NY  | RESEARCHING: AHRENS, ALFORD, BACHORZ, BASKA,
                            | BUHR,
                            | COLLINS, DORAWA, DUNN, DZWONKOWSKI,
                            | FEATHERSTONE,
                            | von GLISZCZYNSKI, HAMANN, KANE, KASZUBIK, von
                            | KIEDROWSKI,
                            | KNOPIK, KOSTUJ, von LIPINSKI, LORBIECKI,
                            | MAXWELL,
                            | McDERMOTT, MICHALOWSKI, PABICH, PARYSEK,
                            | PARZYSZ,
                            | SANDERS, WAGNER, WALIGORA, WALENSI,
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | The help will be there soon.
       Kaj v. Kasz_bik /NY  | WANTOCH-REKOWSKI, WORZALLA
     *  Ken Walker (Scot)   | RIGHT HAND SIDE VERY SLOE
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | No you are not we are all here for you
       Nan/FL               | Hi, Ken, I am praying for you too.  Remember
                            | your
                            | trip to Disneyland!
       Richard O. White     | Ken, What do you mean, "The keyboard is
                            | melting'?
       gabby/IN             | HI KEN
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Gabby, Ken is having a problem.
                            | Just watch.
       Richard O. White     | Everyone pulling for you Ken, Hang in there!
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Ken are you OK
      * Ken Walker (Scot)   | i FRRL VRY TIRED
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Stay with us, Ken.
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | Ok Ken best thing is to stay calm don't try
                            | and do
                            | anything don't want things to progress Face
                            | numb
                            | too are you drooling
       Vickie (Elam) White  | Ken, how far away is the town from you?
    *   Dick Eastman/SYSOP  | Ken: Hang on.  Help is on the way
       sandra Ellis         | keep talking Ken try to stay alert so you can
                            | tell what hurts.
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | Ken do you have headache?
       Vickie (Elam) White  | Mary, sure sounds like a stroke.  I work in
                            | an
                            | emergency room
                            | see them all the time
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | Yeah I did too
     *  Dick Eastman/SYSOP  | Ken: Hang on. Type anything
       Richard O. White     | Hang On Ken!
       Betty Clay           | Ken, are you still there?
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | And you know about right vs left
       Vickie (Elam) White  | Ken, just type one letter every once in a
                            | while to let
                            | us know you are still conscious
                            | don't worry about answering us
                            | with long messages
       Dick Eastman/SYSOP   | To all: I will follow this and post message
                            | on the mesage board when I know.
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Thanks, Dick.
       Vickie (Elam) White  | Good Dick
       Betty Clay           | Thanks, Dick.  We do want to know.
       Sharon Arnold/TX     | Thanks Dick.
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Maybe the ambulance is there.
       Diane Schoelles      | Thanks Dick.
       Vickie (Elam) White  | Ken, type the letter K
       Richard O. White     | Good Work, Dick.
       Nan/FL               | Here in Florida wants to know, too.
       SONDRA J. HENDY      | Thanks Dick, Wyoming is worried too.
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | Wish he had sound so we could tell him just
                            | one
                            | letter
       Vickie (Elam) White  | Ken, type any letter
       ROBERT B. CROSS      | CA too
       Richard O. White     | Ken, give us a sign!
       Vickie (Elam) White  | He's gone
                            | Ken, any letter
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | Dick did they say how long before ambulance
                            | would
                            | get there
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | He's still signed in.
       DAN J. SCHULTER      | He is still connected!
       Vickie (Elam) White  | Dot, he would be unless he actually could
                            | manage
                            | to sign off
       Dick Eastman/SYSOP   | Hang on, I'm calling Scotland
       DAN J. SCHULTER      | Hang on Ken.
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | True.
       Betty Clay           | The system will leave him connected for
                            | another 20-25
                            | minutes, even if he doesn't hit a key.
       Vickie (Elam) White  | that doesn't mean he is conscious
                            | Betty, right
                            | that's what I'm afraid of
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | Vicki this looks like a good one
       Sharon Arnold/TX     | If the ambulance is there, they
                            | are probably going to deal with
                            | him first without paying any
                            | attention to the computer.
       Vickie (Elam) White  | I hope so!
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | They may not know how to turn it off.
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | They better
       Richard O. White     | Ken, Hang in there.
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Maybe we could give clear directions.  Karon?
       Vickie (Elam) White  | No, it will disconnect if it is idle too long
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | Who cares about turning it off
       Betty Clay           | I suspect most any one working on the
                            | ambulance has
                            | computer experience.  But they might not
                            | think it important to
                            | turn it off.
       Vickie (Elam) White  | so I wonder if he could get back on to us if
                            | he needs
                            | more help
      * Dick Eastman/SYSOP  | OK.  LISTEN UP
       Vickie (Elam) White  | and the ambulance hasnt arriverd
       Sharon Arnold/TX     | I wouldn't think it would matter if
                            | it was on or off.
      * Dick Eastman/SYSOP  | Police are at Ken Walker's house right now....
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Yay
       *Dick Eastman/SYSOP  | ambulance is on the way.
                            | Ken is conscious but obviously very, very ill
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | Is he conscious
       Vickie (Elam) White  | Hooray
       Diane Schoelles      | Thank Goodness
       Betty Clay           | That's just GREAT, Dick.  Very quick thinking
                            | on your part.
       Dick Eastman/SYSOP   | aMBUL;ANCE IS EXPECTED ANY MOMENT. pOLICE ARE
                            | IN THE ROOM WITH KEN
       MARY L. WITTLOCK     | Dick God Bless You
       Dick Eastman/SYSOP   | Whew!
       SONDRA J. HENDY      | Good work Dick!
       Vickie (Elam) White  | I knew he wasn't kidding
      * Dick Eastman/SYSOP  | Was not a hoax. Was real
       Diane Schoelles      | God Bless Ken.
       Sharon Arnold/TX     | Wow, I am impressed with what
                            | you did Dick. I am amazed Ken
                            | could type as much as he did!
                            | For so long!
       sandra Ellis         | You cant tell me this the greatest thing
                            | around Better than 911
       Vickie (Elam) White  | he's a kidder but not that bad!
       Richard O. White     | GREAT DICK!!!!! I SHOUT
       gabby/IN             | cann't beleive this is happing
       Dick Eastman/SYSOP   | My hands are shaking
       Betty Clay           | I think he was telling us it was real with
                            | the NO WIND UP.
                            | But I didn't know that term.
       Dot Rhyne Arthur     | Karon, Dick,  did anyone record this?  It
                            | should be in
                            | the Compuserve Hall of Heroes?
     ROBERT B. CROSS        | God bless you all, thank God you were all
                            | here for him

Feedback    Send us your comments - Selected responses are posted daily.

          | CONTENTS | SEARCH | CNN HOME PAGE | MAIN TECHNOLOGY PAGE |

                  Copyright =A9 1996 Cable News Network, Inc.
                            ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
              External sites are not endorsed by CNN Interactive.

Dept. of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK
EMAIL =3D Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk   PHONE =3D +44 191 222 7923
FAX =3D +44 191 222 8232  URL =3D http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/~brian.randell/