Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: My error re Java secuirity -- it is Javascript security

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 12:20:14 -0500

Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 12:16:34 -0500
From: Richard Fritzson <fritzson () cs umbc edu>

This message from Tom Phelps is about "Javascript", not "Java". They are
different languages, with different implementation models. As far as I
know, no one is making any serious security claims about "Javascript".

Javascript is delivered to your Netscape browser as source code,
embedded in your HTML page. Java is delivered as compiled byte code. The
two languages have similar syntaxes but very different semantics and
capabilities.

        Rich Fritzson