Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: An offer they can't refuse re Nomadic '96 Conference

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 06:13:53 -0500

Posted-Date: Tue, 20 Feb 1996 04:16:26 -0500
To: farber () central cis upenn edu
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 96 01:16:23 PST
From: Len Kleinrock <lk () CS UCLA EDU>

Dear Dave,

Your readership would love to hear about the following.  After you look it
over, I would appreciate it if you would post it to "interesting-persons".
Basically, what is said below is that any of your readers is being given an
opportunity to demonstrate new technology, free of charge, at the
upcoming Nomadic 96 Conference that I am chairing.  It will be a landmark
event, launching a new conference on  nomadic computing and
communications - you know, all the things you and I do in our travels, but
for which there is no proper support at the moment.

Please do post it.

Regards,

Len

Free Invitation to Demonstrate Nomadic/Mobile Systems

If you are involved with any aspect of mobile, wireless or nomadic
development or applications, then here is an opportunity to demonstrate
that technology at no cost!

Developers of nomadic and mobile systems and applications are hereby invited
to demonstrate their latest research and/or products at Nomadic '96 -- The
Nomadic Computing & Communications Conference -- in San Jose, California, on
March 13-15, 1996 at the Fairmont Hotel.

As we said, there is no charge to demonstrate.  The organizers seek mobile
computing/communications systems that would be of interest to an audience of
technical managers, senior engineers and IT executives.  Demonstrations will
ideally show systems based on technologies and concepts including mobile IP,
nomadic routing, file replication systems, wearable devices and ubiquitous
computing.  Products may also be in beta or prototype stage, so you may use
this as an opportunity for customer feedback and comment.

Current demonstrators include Cisco, Nortel, IBM, GTE, UCLA and Olivetti,
among others.  Speakers at the conference include Robert Lucky (Bellcore),
Alan Kay (Apple), Vint Cerf (MCI), Leonard Kleinrock (UCLA), David Nagel
(Apple), Larry Roberts (ATM Systems), Charlie Perkins (IBM), Jerry Popek (UCLA),
and Mark Weiser (Xerox).

Contact the organizers of Nomadic '96 as soon as possible to discuss your
participation.  Call Technology Transfer Institute at (310) 394-8305 and ask
for Tony Shaw, or send email to tshaw () tticom com.  To qualify for this
unique offer, you must be able to demonstrate a nomadic/mobile computing or
communications technology and/or product during the hours of 5 p.m. to 7
p.m. on March 13 and 14 at the Fairmont Hotel in San Jose.  You will receive
a 10 foot demo space free of charge (you are responsible for additional
costs of demo equipment, if required). Space allows only a limited number of
demonstrations to be accomodated, and the organizers reserve the right of
refusal should the proposed demonstration not be appropriate to the themes
of the conference.

Nomadicity is the next major thrust in the mobile and wireless industry, and
it is the Internet that has enabled it.   If you consider yourself among the
pioneers in nomadic computing and communications, then stand up and
be counted at this Nomadic '96 conference.

Tony Shaw
President
Technology Transfer Institute
741 10th Street