Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Follow Up on Clipper Reverse Engineering

From: Dave Farber <farber () cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 1996 17:46:49 -0500

As sent to me from a reliable IPer. Please note this is quoted and NOT
mine. djf

Per the heads-up... FYI, Intel did the reverse engineering job on
Clipper and had the DOD classify it out from under them. So much for
FOI. What the feds COULDN'T do anything about is the reverse that was
done recently in two places, Bulgaria and Canada. As a matter of
interest, both reversing shops stem from the same roots, DZU (Bulgaria).
A shop they put together years ago in British Columbia does reversing
jobs for anyone with money, but they worked with their Bulgarian
associates on this one, the sponsor for which is unknown (at least to me
at this time--although I suspect a back door Israeli connection). The
shop in Stara Zagora (stä´re ze-gôr´), with which Dan Dooley and I are
intimately familiar (remember the late Kalok disk drive fiasco?), does
reversing and other stuff for their former masters and others with
money.

This city in central Bulgaria east-northeast of Plovdiv is a hotbed for
this kind of stuff and, in my first-hand experience, they have top notch
people (hungry out of work PhDs can do wonders). They sure surprised me
with what they had done in the reversing and disk drive businesses.
Maybe that's a Caritas trip for you some day. Stara Zagora is a
significant railroad hub. Yuk, Yuk.

Burn this before reading (as if I have any real secrets, and if I did
they would be consigned to the tender ministrations of PGP configured
for using the IDEA cipher). Whoever is listening out there, "this is
well-know, public domain, info", so go away before you get here!