Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: BellSouth Ending Flat-Rate ISDN (from compriv

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 14:29:44 -0400

Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 12:20:19 EDT
From: John W Warne <warnejw () sbac edu>
Subject: BellSouth Ending Flat-Rate ISDN
Telecom-Digest: Volume 16, Issue 441

There is a move afoot in BellSouth to file in all States to eliminate
flat-rate ISDN service.

Filings have not yet gotten to the various Public Service/Utility
Commissions, but are, apparantly, moving in that direction.

My information is incomplete, since BellSouth employees cannot talk
about these activities, but it appears the move is associated with a
decrease in the monthly charge for service, an allocation of a number
of "free" hours each month (a different allocation for residences and
for businesses), and a per minute charge beyond the allocation.

In my opinion, this move is designed to eliminate the use of ISDN for
"nailed up" data interconnection.  Some of us users have moved to this
type service to substantially reduce the costs associated with dedicated
private lines.

The purpose of my message is *not* to start debating the issue of
long call time durations on the network, but is really intended as a
"heads-up" for others in the same circumstance.  This change can have a
$40,000.00 impact on our budget.

A nice wakeup call, that!

John Warne
Telecommunications Manager,