Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Re: Here we go re internet telephones

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 21:50:24 -0400

Date: Sun, 11 Aug 1996 18:44:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Hal Varian <hal () alfred sims berkeley edu>
To: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>

On Sun, 11 Aug 1996, Dave Farber wrote:

   "Phone Service Via the Internet May Slash Rates."

      ...Customers would merely call a
      central number, then dial their long-distance numbers.
      The call is carried on the Internet, then put back onto
      the local phone system at its destination. The company
      plans to charge 5 to 8 cents per minute for all domestic
      U.S. calls, which represents a 50 to 75 percent discount
      off most domestic long-distance rates.

Long distance carriers currently pay the local carriers a local
access fee which is about 40% of the price of a long-distance call.
Internet service providers do not pay this local accesss charge
since they are classified as a "value added service".  It appears that
these guys hope to make money off of this differential treatment of
Internet providers and long-distance carriers.  My guess is that
this kind of thing will hasten the moves to impost local access charges
on Internet providers.  (See
http://www.cedmagazine.com/feb96/currents.html for a reasonably
accurate review of the issues involved.)

Hal Varian, Dean           voice: 510-642-9980
SIMS, 102 South Hall       fax:   510-642-5814
University of California   hal () sims berkeley edu
Berkeley, CA 94720-4600    http://www.sims.berkeley.edu/~hal