Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Soft War a great talk!! at UPenn CIS Tuesday 9 May

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 1996 09:00:31 -0500

Soft War
Chuck de Carlo
Moore 554 at noon to 1:30 ish
Tuesday 9 April
CSE 355

[Chuck is a great speaker. This talk was also given several weeks ago at the
National Defense Instiute to great reviews. All are invited. Outside CSE 355
students, please advise me if you are coming. If you would like to meet with
Chuck after the talk please let me also know. djf]

"Soft War is a description of an emerging war form in the information age,
The classical Clauswitzian definition of war as the extension of politics
which uses the controlled application of violence "to constrain the enemy to
accomplish our will", has been changed by the advent of global, real time
television, It is now possible to shape another nation's will by changing
its view of reality by using the effect of global television  directly upon
the adversary body politic, Soft War covers the nature of the medium of
television, the nature of television journalism, the utilization of global
TV as an inexpensive intelligence system, and as an information warfare medium."

Chuck de Carlo is founder and CEO of the AEROBUREAU Corp.. His company has
designed, built and flown the worlds first flying news center in a four
engine Lockheed Electra airliner, This aircraft is equipped with airborne
satellite radio and video communications, radar, infrared and optical
sensors, a helicopter, remotely piloted vehicles and enough gear to operate
autonomously anywhere for up to a week without resupply.

Chuck is a former CNN Special Assignment reporter with combat experience in
Nicaragua, Grenada and Surinam. He was educated at the Marion Military
Institute, the Air Force Academy and the Univ of Rhode Island.