Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Information Warfare and Encryption

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 1996 21:09:36 -0400

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 96 21:01:43 EST
From: "Stewart Baker" <sbaker () mail steptoe com>
To: farber () central cis upenn edu

     Dave:

     Here is my latest op-ed, as sent to and more or less as
     published by the Journal of Commerce.

     Stewart Baker

                December 2002:  As Iraqi troops mass once again
     on the border with Kuwait, the President mobilizes U.S.
     forces.

                But as the crisis grows, civilians find
     themselves suffering home-front hardships unprecedented in
     this century.  The U.S. power grid fails again and again.
     Telephone service goes down.  Looting spreads beyond the
     inner city as groceries run short and merchants stop taking
     checks and credit cards. Railroad networks suffer
     inexplicable failures, leading to safety measures that cut
     in half deliveries of food and fuel to a snowbound East
     Coast.  Airports close and flights are cut due to
     interruptions in air traffic control data.

                "I haven't seen anything like this since the
     strategic bombing of Germany in 1944 and 1945," declares a
     British military commentator.  "The critical nodes of
     America's civilian infrastructure are being taken down more
     or less at will."
                Protests mount against a distant military
     intervention.  When disruption of natural gas deliveries to
     the Northeast causes a wave of nursing home deaths,
     Congress passes a resolution condemning the President's
     handling of the crisis.   Twenty hours later, the President
     orders the troops home.

                For the first time in its history, America has
     suffered more casualties at home than on the front. Worse,
     the clear superiority of U.S. military forces has been
     rendered irrelevant.
                That's the Pentagon's latest nightmare -- one
     born, ironically, of its own futuristic plans for winning
     wars by attacking the information and communications
     systems of our adversaries.  Only as those plans were being
     hatched did it begin to dawn on military planners that the
     nation most vulnerable to such an attack is, well, us.
                Five years ago, telephones in the
     Baltimore-Washington area shut down for hours due to a
     simple mistake in programming.  Switch failures in 1991
     also shut down major airports when air traffic controllers
     could not get the data they needed.  If that's what happens
     when everyone is trying to make the system work, imagine
     what would happen if a large number of skilled operatives
     were trying to shut it down.

                Even the military is vulnerable. In one recent
     study, government hackers probed thousands of unclassified
     military systems.  They succeeded 88% of the time.  Only 4%
     of their successful attacks were detected.

                But the attacks in my scenario never touched a
     government or military computer.  The United States could
     be crippled by attacks aimed entirely at systems in private
     hands.  And private companies can't be expected to protect
     against state-sponsored information warfare.  By and large,
     it doesn't make economic sense for them to spend more on
     network defenses than they are likely to lose to everyday
     hackers and criminals.  For the same reason, few in the
     private sector want government advice, let alone government
     mandates, designed to raise the level of security on their
     computer networks.

                Indeed, it's hard for government and industry to
     even have a dialogue on this issue.  Five minutes into the
     discussion, industry says that it needs cheap unbreakable
     encryption to secure its systems, and the government asks
     how the FBI can catch the crooks who will use encryption to
     hide their activities.  Ten minutes after that, industry is
     shouting "Big Brother" and the government is sermonizing
     about the World Trade Center bombing.  By the time that
     fight has wound down, nobody has the energy -- or the
     mutual trust -- needed to discuss the gritty details of
     network security.

                And so we rock along, putting more and more of
     our infrastructure into cyberspace and hoping our
     adversaries won't notice or won't exploit those
     vulnerabilities.  Fat chance.

                So far, the government's response has been
     heavily dominated by the military.  But we won't get far
     without a consensus -- one that includes industry -- on
     questions like how we can identify organized attacks on
     critical civilian systems, how we can provide
     cost-effective protection against the most obvious attacks,
     and (as a way to get industry to the table) how to limit
     the liability of companies that act responsibly in
     reporting and protecting against attacks.
                In talks with the telecommunications industry
     and others, the Clinton Administration is trying to build
     such a consensus.  That's a excellent idea, but as a
     veteran of the encryption debates, I have one prediction.
     Nothing will come of the effort unless the Administration
     announces clearly and unequivocally that whatever
     institution it creates to address this problem will offer
     no advice about encryption policy.

                None. Zip. Zero.

                A high-level review of computer security that
     doesn't talk about encryption -- what could be more boring?

                But the alternative is to sit around waiting for
     a Pearl Harbor attack on our information infrastructure.
     And in the end, that'll be a tad more excitement than any
     of us really wants.

     Stewart Baker has an international and technology law
     practice in Washington.  He was general counsel to the
     National Security Agency in 1992-94.  He is a member of the
     Defense Science Board task force on information warfare
     defense.