Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: first few days with the U.S. Robotics Pilot PDA

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 1996 15:31:53 -0400

I received an evaluation unit late last week and wanted to get off my first
reactions to it asap.

Buy one!!!!!!! It is that easy.

It is a shirt pocket size unit that will always be with you. The screen is
reasonable to read and all the various applications seem well done and very
usable.

The  best thing is the seamless integration of the Pilot with its desktop
date/contact/to-do/memo manager -- which is useable but far from fancy
(there is promised integration with Now software in the near future) . You
plug the Pilot into its stand, press a button and it all works. The two
databases get synchronized.

I can easily see it as something I carry along with my drivers license,
cellular phone and credit cards as an essential.

The only negative I have found is that, as usual in this business, the
programs to translate from MS Schedular Plus, Sidekick etc are being
supplied by IntellLink whose software from my experience is vaporware. But
it was not that hard to use comma delimited files to transfer the data.

I will say more after using it more, but right now it seems the first real
winner for those of us who use PCs and would like PDAs.

I would recommend a buy on it.

Dave