Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: newshour hotlink --

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 1996 18:55:45 -0400

From: hfyfield () portweb com (H. Fyfield)

I am intrigued by the PBS Newshour's Background Briefing webpage for April
15, 1996, entitled Security and Defense. The page is a transcript of
Elizabeth Farnsworth's interview with Doi,Johnson and Nye.

What interests me is the hotlink in the first paragraph entitled
"US-Japanese relations", which is a link to the MOFA homepage. PBS,
knowingly or otherwise, thereby cedes the crucial role of defining the
'relationship' to MOFA. And strategic media advantage is subtly shifted as
a result.

By what process is a decision to create such a link like this made? By
design? By accident? By whom? Is there a larger issue here? Does it matter?

My own view is that it matters a great deal. Imagine NHK linking such a key
definitional site directly to USTR or Commerce...see what I mean?

Herb Fyfield
hfyfield () portweb com