Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Gates on Technology and Privacy

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 06:51:57 -0400

Date: Fri, 15 Sep 1995 09:07:07 +0100
To: farber () central cis upenn edu
From: Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk (Brian Randell)
Subject: Gates on Technology and Privacy

Dave:

The Bill Gates' article "Privacy: Who should know what about whom?" in
yesterday's Guardian newspaper here (which I gather is syndicated by the
New York Times so presumably has already appeared there and goodness knows
where else), contains the statement:

"Technology can overcome this privacy problem: expect to see e-mail that,
at the option of the sender, cannot be forwarded or printed on paper."

I'm no security expert, but I was surprised by this claim. Can someone
enlighten please as to its likely validity.

Cheers

Brian

Dept. of Computing Science, University of Newcastle, Newcastle upon Tyne,
NE1 7RU, UK
EMAIL = Brian.Randell () newcastle ac uk   PHONE = +44 191 222 7923
FAX = +44 191 222 8232  URL = http://www.cs.ncl.ac.uk/~brian.randell/