Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: EFFector Online 08.15 * EFF Moved; Net Censorship Alert Update

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 1995 10:37:16 -0400

     ________________          _______________        _______________
    /_______________/\        /_______________\      /\______________\
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/        |||||||||||||||||     / ////////////////
     \\\\\________/\          |||||________\       / /////______\
      \\\\\\\\\\\\\/____      ||||||||||||||      / /////////////
       \\\\\___________/\     |||||              / ////
        \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\/     |||||              \////

EFFector Online Volume 08 No. 15      Sept. 9, 1995       editors () eff org
A Publication of the Electronic Frontier Foundation        ISSN 1062-9424

IN THIS ISSUE:

EFF Relocation Update
Alert Update: Internet Censorship Legislation
EFFector Changes
Upcoming Events
Quote of the Day
What YOU Can Do
Administrivia

* See http://www.eff.org/Alerts/ or ftp.eff.org, /pub/Alerts/ for more
information on current EFF activities and online activism alerts! *

Subject: EFF Relocation Update
------------------------------

EFF has relocated to the San Francisco Bay Area, in California.

Contact information:

Electronic Frontier Foundation
PO Box 170190
San Francisco CA 94117 USA
[*Postal mail only* Contact us via phone for an address to use for
FedEx and UPS shipping.]

+1 415 668 7171 (voice, general office; Calif.)
+1 415 668 7007 (fax, general office; Calif.)
+1 510 548 3290 (voice, Mike Godwin, Staff Counsel; Calif.)
+1 301 375 8856 (voice, Shari Steele, Staff Counsel; DC/VA/MD area.)

We apologize for any downtime or net troubles users of our sites may have
experienced, and for delays in turn-around time on information requests
and membership applications. We're working on catching up with the
several weeks worth of backlog incurred during our transition time.

Though we are now back up and running full-time and full-on, we do not
yet have permanent office space. When this last piece of the puzzle is
resolved, we'll inform everyone of the change again.

Nothing serious appears to have occurred during our downtime (Congress
being in recess probably had a lot to do with that...)

Thanks to our members and the online community for your continued support
and action!

------------------------------

[I have removed a BIG section of the Communication
"Decency" act since it has been covered by previous IP
postings djf]

Subject: EFFector Changes
-------------------------

Starting with this issue, the long calendar of events that might interest
EFF members and EFFector readers is being replaced with a much shorter
list of events more directly EFF-related.  We hope this will help keep
down the size of the newsletter.

------------------------------

Subject: Upcoming events
------------------------

This schedule lists events that are directly EFF-related. A much more
detailed calendar of events likely to be of interest to our members and
supporters is maintained at:

ftp: ftp.eff.org, /pub/EFF/calendar.eff
gopher: gopher.eff.org, 1/EFF, calendar.eff
http://www.eff.org/pub/EFF/calendar.eff

Sep. 14-
     15 * 2nd Ann. Business & Legal Aspects of the Internet & Online Services
          Seminar; Park Central Hotel, New York City, NY.  Speakers include:
          Mike Godwin (EFF), Anne Branscomb (Harvard U.), Dan L. Burk (Seton
          Hall U.), Steward Baker (Steptoe & Johnson, ex-NSA), Jan
          Constantine (Delphi), Andrea Ireland (MCI), Joseph Lamport (_Law_
          _Journal_EXTRA!_), Bennett Lincoff (ASCAP), Vance Opperman (West
          Pub.), David G. Post (Georgetown U., & EFF Policy Fellow), William
          Schneck (Prodigy), Margaret Seif (AT&T Interchange Network), Kent
          Stuckey (CompuServe), David Witus (Microsoft).
          Contact: 1 800 888 8300 ext. 611 (voice, US-only),
                   +1 212 545 6111 (voice), +1 212 696 1517 (fax)
          Email: seminars () ljextra com

Sep. 19-
     21 * Online Developers Conf. II: Blueprints for the Post-Web World;
          San Francisco, Calif. Speakers include: Robert Massey (CompuServe),
          Russell Siegelman (Microsoft Network), Ed Bennet (Prodigy),
          Ted Leonsis (AOL), Michael Kolowich (AT&T Interchange), Don
          Brazeal (_Digital_Ink_), Ellio Dahan (Compton's New Media),
          Richard Barth (Microsoft), James Gosling (Sun, chief architect of
          JAVA), Tim Gelinas (Spry/CIS-Seattle), E. David Ellington
          (NetNoir), Phil Monego (Yahoo), Charles Martin (_Interactive_Age_),
          Scott Kurnit (MCI), Andrew Anker (_Wired_, HotWired), Bruce Katz
          (the WELL), Tracy Erway (Intel), Patrick Ames (Adobe Pr.), Tony
          Christopher (Fujitsu), Dan Ambrosi (Silicon Graphics), Rob Glaser
          (EFF Board of Directors, Progressive Networks, RealAudio), Joe
          Dunn (Macromedia), Bruce Ravenel (TCI), and several others.
          Contact: 1 800 488 4345 (voice, US-only) or +1 212 780 6060 (voice)
                   +1 212 780 6075 (fax)
          Email: jupiter () jup com

Sep. 20 * The Future of the Internet: Realizing Its Potential; Penn Club,
          New York City.  Presentation by EFF Board Member David Farber.
          Admission free, reserve a spot via the phone number below.
          Contact: +1 212 403 6620 (voice)

Sep. 21 * Pittsburgh Law School Second Century Conferenc; University of
          Pittsburgh. Speakers include EFF co-founder Mitch Kapor
          (presentation on "Regulation of Computing and Information
          Technology")
          Contact: Prof. Pamela Samuelson, +1 412 648 1389 (voice)

Sep. 29 * Software Publishers Association 11th Annual Conference;
          Westin Hotel Copley Place, Boston, Mass.  Speakers include
          EFF co-founder Mitch Kapor (presentation on "A Fresh Look at
          The Future of Intellectual Property in a Networked World")
          Contact: +1 202 452 1600 ext. 328 (voice)

Oct. 10-
     11 * US NII Advisory Council meeting; Pittsburgh, Penn.  Open to the
          public; members of this civilian council include EFF board members
          Esther Dyson and David Johnson.
          Contact: +1 212 482 1835 (voice)

Oct. 13 * Seminar on Forecasting the Technological Future in
          Information Systems; Annenberg School of Communication Public
          Policy Center, U. of Pennsylvania.  Speakers include EFF
          co-founder Mitch Kapor.
          Contact: +1 215 898 7041 (voice; ask for Oscar Gandy)

Oct. 19 * Library Fair 95: Information Access at the Smithsonian Institution
          Libraries; Smithsonian Ripley Center, Washington DC. Speakers
          include Shari Steele (EFF Staff Counsel)
          Email: libem011 () sivm si edu

Nov. 3-
     4  * Innovation and the Information Environment Conf.; U. of Oregon
          School of Law, Eugene, Or.  Speakers include Shari Steele (EFF
          Staff Counsel).
          Email: kaoki () law uoregon edu

------------------------------

Subject: Quote of the Day
-------------------------

"Our problems are not new. We must not sign away our freedom and our reason
to make things even easier for the [politicians]. The only cure for bad
information is better information. You are in charge now; use your power
wisely."
  - Jon Carroll, "I Have Met the Enemy. I Have Bad News", _San_Francisco_
    _Chronicle_, June 29, 1995.

Find yourself wondering if your privacy and freedom of speech are safe
when bills to censor the Internet are swimming about in a sea of of
surveillance legislation and anti-terrorism hysteria?  Worried that in
the rush to make us secure from ourselves that our government
representatives may deprive us of our essential civil liberties?
Concerned that legislative efforts nominally to "protect children" will
actually censor all communications down to only content suitable for
the playground?

Join EFF!

Even if you don't live in the U.S., the anti-Internet hysteria will soon
be visiting a legislative body near you.  If it hasn't already.

------------------------------

Subject: What YOU Can Do
------------------------

* The Communications Decency Act & Other Censorship Legislation

The Communications Decency Act and similar legislation pose serious
threats to freedom of expression online, and to the livelihoods of system
operators.  The legislation also undermines several crucial privacy
protections.

Business/industry persons concerned should alert their corporate govt.
affairs office and/or legal counsel.  Everyone should write to their own
Representatives and Senators, asking them to oppose Internet censorship
legislation, and (when the list is available) everyone should write to
the conference committee members to support the reasonable approaches of
Leahy, Klink, Cox and Wyden, and to oppose the unconstitutional proposals of
Exon, Gorton and others.

For more information on what you can do to help stop this and other
dangerous legislation, see:

ftp.eff.org, /pub/Alerts/
gopher.eff.org, 1/Alerts
http://www.eff.org/pub/Alerts/

If you do not have full internet access, send your request
for information to ask () eff org.

* The Anti-Electronic Racketeering Act

This bill is unlikely to pass in any form, being very poorly drafted, and
without much support.  However, the CDA is just as bad and passed with
flying colors [the jolly roger?] in the Senate. It's better to be safe
than sorry. If you have a few moments to spare, writing to, faxing, or
calling your Congresspersons to urge opposition to this bill is a good
idea. If you only have time to do limited activism, please concentrate
on the CDA instead. That legislation is far more imminent that the AERA.

* Find Out Who Your Congresspersons Are

Writing letters to, faxing, and phoning your representatives in Congress
is one very important strategy of activism, and an essential way of
making sure YOUR voice is heard on vital issues.

EFF has lists of the Senate and House with contact information, as well
as lists of Congressional committees. (A House list is included in this
issue of EFFector). These lists are available at:
ftp.eff.org, /pub/Activism/Congress_cmtes/
gopher.eff.org, 1/EFF/Issues/Activism/Congress_cmtes
http://www.eff.org/pub/Activism/Congress_cmtes/

The full Senate and House lists are senate.list and hr.list, respectively.
Those not in the U.S. should seek out similar information about their
own legislative bodies.  EFF will be happy to archive any such
information provided.

If you are having difficulty determining who your Representatives are,
try contacting your local League of Women Voters, who maintain a great
deal of legislative information.

* Join EFF!

You *know* privacy, freedom of speech and ability to make your voice heard
in government are important. You have probably participated in our online
campaigns and forums.  Have you become a member of EFF yet?  The best way to
protect your online rights is to be fully informed and to make your
opinions heard.  EFF members are informed and are making a difference.  Join
EFF today!

For EFF membership info, send queries to membership () eff org, or send any
message to info () eff org for basic EFF info, and a membership form.

------------------------------

Administrivia
=============

EFFector Online is published by:

The Electronic Frontier Foundation
1667 K St. NW, Suite 801
Washington DC 20006-1605 USA
+1 202 861 7700 (voice)
+1 202 861 1258 (fax)
+1 202 861 1223 (BBS - 16.8k ZyXEL)
+1 202 861 1224 (BBS - 14.4k V.32bis)
Membership & donations: membership () eff org
Legal services: ssteele () eff org
Hardcopy publications: pubs () eff org
General EFF, legal, policy or online resources queries: ask () eff org

Editor:
Stanton McCandlish, Online Services Mgr./Activist/Archivist (mech () eff org)

This newsletter printed on 100% recycled electrons.

Reproduction of this publication in electronic media is encouraged.  Signed
articles do not necessarily represent the views of EFF.  To reproduce
signed articles individually, please contact the authors for their express
permission. Press releases and EFF announcements may be reproduced individ-
ually at will.

To subscribe to EFFector via email, send message body of "subscribe
effector-online" (without the "quotes") to listserv () eff org, which will add
you to a subscription list for EFFector.

Back issues are available at:
ftp.eff.org, /pub/EFF/Newsletters/EFFector/
gopher.eff.org, 1/EFF/Newsletters/EFFector
http://www.eff.org/pub/EFF/Newsletters/EFFector/