Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: the Java bug

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:42:07 -0400

[I had picked up the 32 bit version of the new Netscape
Navigator 2.0B Saturday and then saw it had been
deconceived on Monday. I wondered what happened. This does
re-enforce worroes stated on the net re the FUTURE problems
with such active systems like Java and other remotely
executing code. What we need is hardware/op sys that are
really secure (where is the Gemini when we need it :-) }
Well ...djf]

Date: Mon, 09 Oct 95 14:12:41 -0400
From: Andrew Wason <aw () bae bellcore com>

Terence Chr Haddock <haddock () UDel Edu>  writes:

      Where is the 32-bit version of Netscape2.0? I can only find the
16-bit. This may be because I have only been able to get on ftp4,ftp5,
and not ftp.netscape.com. Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Netscape pulled all the 2.0 betas that supported Java yesterday,
due to a recently discovered Java security hole.  So the 32 bit
Windows versions, SunOS, Solaris and SGI versions were removed.
There was a README explaining this there last night, but I can't
find it today.

Andrew