Interesting People mailing list archives

PATNEWS: One years worth of patent abstracts now available

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 10:17:39 -0500

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 08:41:09 -0500
From: srctran () world std com (Gregory Aharonian)
To: patents () world std com
Subject: PATNEWS: One years worth of patent abstracts now available

!19950327  One years of patent abstracts now available

   A few months ago, I announced an effort to solicit $10,000 to put up all
of the patent abstracts since 1975 onto the Internet for simple retrieval.
While the response was underwhelming to say the least, a few donations and
promises did come in, enough for me to charge most of the equipment and some
of the data I need to my credit cards, to get the project off the ground.

   Well, a four gigabyte disk drive is now mounted down at UNC where my Web
pages are, and I have made available one year's worth of patent abstract text
data (abstracts for patents from 4794652 to 4890334, those for the year 1989).
The abstracts are freely retreivable by patent number (sorry no searching yet,
that needs the big donations).  To try out the abstract retreival service,
connect to my Web pages, at:

              http://sunsite.unc.edu/patents/intropat.html

with the HTML script for the abstract retreival being on the home page.  Just
enter the patent number and press the "Submit Query" button.

   Here is a sample of a retreivable abstract:

4,812,345
 Inventor(s)     Imai, Shozaburo; Isobe, Michihisa; Yokoo
 State/Country   JPX
 Assignee        Sumitomo Chemical Company, Limited
 Title           Optical disk substrate

There is disclosed herein an optical disk substrate
comprising a copolymer produced by polymerizing 50 to 65%
by weight of methyl methacrylate (a) units, 20 to 35% by
weight of tricyclo[5.2.1.0.sup.2.6 ]deca-8-yl methacrylate
(b) units, 5 to 25% by weight of cyclohexyl methacrylate
(c) units and 1 to 5% by weight of acrylic ester (d) units.

Issued: 1989 03 14     Filed: 1988 02 11

   I would like to thank those who have contributed so far, and will be
preparing an issue of my Patent News Service kudo-ing these contributors.
The rest of the abstracts?  I am still hoping that the many patent law firms
and corporations receiving my News Service and using the Web site will come
forth with additional $500 donations.

   Each additional $500 donation will result in the addition of one more
year's worth of patent abstracts, with 20 years still left.  So if you like
what you see, see what you and/or your corporation can do.  Anyone you can
lobby (like the AIPLA and SPA), please do, if you like what I am doing.

   Alternatively (joining the rampant commercialization of the Internet),
for the full $10,000 a sponsor can get advertising space on the bottom of
each outgoing abstract.  With thousands of people using the Web site each
week (for just titles, even more for abstracts), this results in tons of
publicity and marketing exposure.

   Any $500 donation over $10,000 will be used for making the exemplary
claims available, and a second $10,000 contribution gets its sponsor
advertising space on the bottom of each outgoing claim.

    Sorry to have to nickel and dime everyone, but all I have encountered
from the various powers that be (that should be doing this) is polite yawns.
Keep your fingers crossed.

Greg Aharonian
Internet Patent News Service
(for subscription info, send 'help' to   patents () world std com )
(for WWW patent searching, try  http://sunsite.unc.edu/patents/intropat.html )