Interesting People mailing list archives

Re: design of Web pages

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 95 09:33:02 JST

Date: Thu, 15 Jun 1995 12:39:10 -0500
To: farber () central cis upenn edu (Dave Farber)
From: rjs () farnsworth mit edu (Richard Jay Solomon)

The strange part of these epiphanies that presenting information takes
skill is that no one has seemed to learn a thing from the billions lost on
videotext/teletext. That's what happens when you erase corporate memory.

We have 500 years of experience with print and graphics. People get degrees
in graphics and page design. Some people even study such things as language
and art and the psychology of perception in higher educational
institutions. There are even courses in EDITING! Were the computer nerds so
out of it when they were studying math and engineering that they think they
have to re-invent everything? Judging from the experience of our awful
software manuals, I suppose so.

Richard