Interesting People mailing list archives

PGP Keysiging in Stockholm!!

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 14:46:48 -0400

Posted-Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 14:10:18 -0400
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 13:57:03 +0500
Sender: ietf-request () IETF CNRI Reston VA US
From: "Theodore Ts'o" <tytso () mit edu>
To: ietf () IETF CNRI Reston VA US
Subject: PGP Keysiging in Stockholm!!
Address: 1 Amherst St., Cambridge, MA 02139
Phone: (617) 253-8091

        Once again, we will be holding a PGP Key signing part at the
IETF meeting in Stockholm.  We have been scheduled to meet at 11pm on
Tuesday evening, in the Blasie Room, which is located in the Bolinder
Palace portion of the Grand Hotel.  The procedure we will use is the
following:

        * People who wish to participate should email an ASCII
                extract of their PGP public key to <tytso () mit edu> by
                7:30pm on Tuesday of the week of the IETF meeting.
                Please include a subject line of "IETF PGP KEY".

                Sending your key to me before the IETF meeting is
                appreciated, since it reduces the number of keys that I
                have to collect during the meeting.  (In fact, why don't
                you send me your key know if you know will be attending,
                so you don't forget?  :-)

        * By 10pm on Tuesday, you will be able to ftp a complete key
                ring from tsx-11.mit.edu with all of the keys that were
                submitted; it will be in the file /pub/tytso/ietf.asc
                and /pub/tytso/ietf.pgp.

        * At 11:00pm, come prepared with the PGP Key fingerprint of your
                PGP public key; we will have handouts with all of the
                key fingerprints of the keys that people have mailed in.

        * In turn, participants will stand up, identify themselves,
                and read off their key fingerprint, so everyone can
                verify the fingerprints on the handout.

        * Later that evening, or perhaps when you get home, you can sign
                the keys corresponding to the fingerprints which you
                were able to verify on the handout; note that it is
                advisable that you only sign keys of people when you
                have personal knowledge that the person who stood up and
                read the fingerprint really is the person which he/she
                claimed to be.

        * Submit the keys you have signed to the PGP keyservers.  A good
                one to use is the one at MIT: simply send mail
                containing the ascii armored version of your PGP public
                key to <pgp () pgp mit edu>.

Note that the advantage of this scheme is that even if you don't have
a trusted laptop with you, you can make notes on the handout, and then
take the handout home and sign the keys later.  In other words, it is
not a requirement that you have a copy of PGP with you in Stockholm in
order to participate!  (We would't want to encourage people to break the
export control laws, after all..... :-)

                                                - Ted