Interesting People mailing list archives

a bit more on the net and the quake

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 20:18:12 -0500

Date: Thu, 19 Jan 1995 08:27:30 +0900
From: Kenji Rikitake <kenji () reseau toyonaka osaka jp>
To: farber () central cis upenn edu (David Farber)

 ]From: JREIDENBERG () LAW FORDHAM EDU
 ]Date: Wed, 18 Jan 1995 9:39:18 -0500 (EST)
 ]To: farber () central cis upenn edu
 ]Subject: Kobe Message Service
 ]
 ]David,
 ]  Do you know if anyone is trying to set up an internet message service
 ]so that family and friends of those in Kobe can get word to each other?
 ]  All the reports in my area say the phone lines to Japan are blocked?

IP link to Kobe is getting back via SINET (academic link of Ministry
of Education), but no commercial providers in Kobe are up yet. The
only non-profit one, WINC Kobe NOC, has got its office completely
crushed and destroyed. I'll check out for volunteers, but I've still
got so many things to do to recover my house so it's priority won't be
high.

Kobe-Osaka leased lines of Japan Telecom was on the collapsed bridge
of Shinkansen train - replacement is going on. WIDE Internet link to
Kobe has been disrupted too.

Commercial link to Osaka (IIJ and AT&T Jens), and WIDE Internet link
to Kyoto, Nara, Osaka, have been running up normally.

// Kenji