Interesting People mailing list archives

Message from Kobe

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 1995 18:57:58 -0500

To: Internauts:

-=-=-

It's 46 minutes past midnight in Machikaneyama, Toyonaka, Osaka. We're pretty
close to the active fault from Awajishima-Kobe-Takarazuka, which caused the
major disaster about 19 hours ago. We're OK - but people in Kobe city are
now shivering and starving.

Kobe was the host city of INET'92, a successful first INET conference held by
Internet Society. But the city is now a mere debris. And the southern coast
of city is still BURNING. Food supply is low, traffic is congested, and
trains cannot reach Kobe.

I don't think you can send food or water to Kobe just right now, but you can
help people in Kobe by sending support to Japan Red Cross. Please contact
your local Red Cross chapter for details.

I fortunately have access to water, gas, electricity, and even to Internet.
But people in Kobe have virtually none. Smaller but shakey tremors are still
attacking the city. Please help Kobe, since they hosted Internet Society.

Sincerely yours,
// Kenji Rikitake, <kenji () reseau toyonaka osaka jp>