Interesting People mailing list archives

Apple in play (maybe real?)

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 1995 14:42:52 -0500

---------------------------------------
Amusing Rants from Dave Winer's Desktop
Posted on 1/6/95; 11:22:20 AM PST
---------------------------------------

  ***Apple Stock Up -- Oracle Plots Hostile Takeover?

  Mark Stahlman writes: "Stock up 10% on rumors of hostile takeover by
  Philips, Matsushita and Oracle. As wacky as it sounds, it's seems
  plausible to me. Larry is nuts enough to try a hostile move. He had
  board authorized talks last year to merge Oracle with Apple which
  fell apart."

  I checked it out. Apple's price is up 3.625 (actually 9.3%) at 42.500
  as of 1:48PM Eastern. The Reuters report quotes Apple and Oracle
  spokeswomen with no comment, but they aren't denying the truth of the
  InformationWeek report that caused the stock to jump.

  On the other hand, from another Reuters report, a Philips
  spokesperson said: "How can I put it? It's nonsense, as far as Philips
  is concerned."

  So -- Oracle and Apple aren't denying. Philips appears to be saying
  no.

  Dave Winer

  PS: Stay tuned. Another essay is in the works.

Check it out! http://magnet.mednet.net/zisk/DaveNet/