Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Some comments from people who have lived in Germany on

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 12:38:16 -0500

From: manny.farber () citicorp com (Manny Farber)

Surprising, considering that a few of the normal, private senders
in Germany air porno movies on weekend nights.  These aren't
porno channels, just unscrambled channels that otherwise carry
normal commerical programming:  movies, TV series, news,
game shows (of course one of the game shows is Tutti Frutti ...).

Manny

From: Brad Dolan <bdolan () use usit net>

There's something weird about this alleged German-induced CompuServe
smut-hunt.

When one lives in the Netherlands, one is never far from Germany (and the
Dutch know it!)  When my family and I lived in Arnhem a few years back, we
were able to get a German TV station.   Weekends, the German station ran
medium-hard-core porn flicks. They were typically French and Italian
movies, with the presumably inane dialogue dubbed over in German.
We found them hilarious.

Based on my sampling, *most* of the newsgroups CompuServe has dropped are
no more risque' than the German movies.  So the reported German concerns
don't make sense to me.

Brad Dolan