Interesting People mailing list archives

IP: Fields statement on Telecom Bill (via Bell Atlantic)

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 1995 13:35:21 -0500

Thursday, December 21, 1995

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT: BRYAN WIRWICZ

FIELDS SAYS THERE'S "NO DEAL" YET TON TELECOM REFORM

WASHINGTON -- U.S. Rep. Jack Fields, chairman of the
House Telecommunications and Finance Subcommittee, has denied
widespread media reports that a deal has been reached between House and
Senate conferees and the White House on the telecommunications reform
bill conference report.

"Talks are continuing, and I'm hopeful and agreement can be reached soon.
But there's no deal yet," Fields said Thursday morning following a meeting
with the House Republican leadership.

Vice President Al Gore reportedly announced an agreement had been reached
Wednesday evening.

"That is not accurate," Fields added.  "While everyone wants toreach an
agreement as soon as possible, there are fundamental principles to which
the House conferees are committed -- principles which we are not wiling to
abandon simply to reach a deal.  We are interested in reaching a good
agreement -- not just any agreement."

"House conferees have still not had an opportunity to review theproposed
conference report, and before they have that opportunity,any claim of an
agreement is premature," Fields added.

|           W. Curtiss Priest, Ph.D., Director       *********************** |
|      Center for Information, Technology, & Society *  Improving humanity * |
|                                                    *  through technology * |
|                  466 Pleasant Street               *********************** |
|                Melrose, MA  02176-4522         BMSLIB () MITVMA MIT EDU       |
|                  Voice: 617-662-4044                                       |
|   Fax: 617-662-6882 WWW: gopher://gopher.eff.org/hh/Groups/CITS            |