Interesting People mailing list archives

IP and the Oklahoma City bombing

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 11:19:12 -0400

Date: Fri, 21 Apr 95 11:03:00 EST
From: "Herb Lin" <hlin () nas edu>
To: farber () central cis upenn edu (David Farber)

  Folks -- in the wake of the O.C. bombing, some increased attention to
  security is probably warranted.  More specifically, you should remember
  that the UNABOM bomber was never caught, and he targeted prominent people
  with connections to high technology.  Members of IP are almost by
  definition prominent in high technology, and so are candidates for
  targeting under his M.O.  Be careful.

  My personal rule of thumb is -- if I don't somehow recognize the
  letter/package, I check the postage.  If there's more than 2 first-class
  stamps on it, and there's no return address, I start to worry.

  A security bulletin circulated yesterday had useful information re mail
  package handling.  This may give you some things to check when you
  receive mail:
  ******************

     All packages/letters delivered by the U.S. postal system, messenger
  service, or private citizens should be checked for the following bomb
  recognition points:

        Foreign mail, air mail, and special delivery.
        Restrictive markings such as confidential, personal, etc.
        Excessive postage.
        Hand written or poorly typed addresses.
        Incorrect titles.
        Titles but no names.
        Misspellings of common words.
        Oily stains or discolorations.
        No return address.
        Excessive weight.
        Rigid envelope.
        Lopsided or uneven envelope.
        Protruding wires or tinfoil.
        Excessive securing material such as masking tape, string, etc.
        Visual distractions.

  Remember, the likelihood of receiving a bomb in the mail is remote, and
  to effectively apply the above factors, it is important to be familiar
  with the type of mail the organization normally receives.

       If you are suspicious about the contents of a package/letter,
  immediately contact the mail room or security post that supports your
  location.  There are specific procedures for you to follow when dealing
  with a suspicious package/letter:

        Don't touch.
        Don't move things on package/letter if you don't know what they
  are.
        Don't move package/letter; move yourself away from package/letter.
        Don't place near vital equipment.
        Don't investigate too closely.
        Don't cover or insulate package/letter.