Interesting People mailing list archives

Update on ATT cellular repair and now MCI InterNet MCI

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 10:51:37 -0400

My IP message seems to have gotten ATT coordinated. They
said the problem was that they were out of stock on antenna
and that the ordering people should have said that to me.
Of course the store, Skyways Cellular in Palo Alto, said
that ATT sales were fedexing one to me (which never got to
me) but ATT sent four.

The current confusion of the month seems however to be MCI.
With great fanfare they announced InternetMCI. Needing
immediate access to a 800 access with PPP I called them and
was told:

sure we will be happy to mail you the form to subscribe and
then you should get all the material you need within 2 or
three weeks.

I wonder when the mentality of companies will change to
recognize that in the cyberworld 2 to 3 weeks is forever
and to a cyber business person 2 to 3 weeks is forever.

It is worth noteing that Microsoft in WIN95 provides
immediate access to their network and that ATT Persalink on
the GM platforms (Envoy and Sony) provide instant access to
their network and that in OS2 Advantis also provides
instant access. . One wonders where is MCI (and others).

Dave

ps where do I find instant 800/ppp access!!