Interesting People mailing list archives

April 1 I hope

From: Dave Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 1995 19:29:42 -0500

Date: Sat, 1 Apr 1995 12:38:15 -0800
From: meadersm () ix netcom com (Mark Meaders)

This is bizarre.  I hope it isn't an April Fools note sent out a day
early.

m2
---- Begin Forwarded Message

From: Jim Banks <jbanks () ISN NET>
To: Multiple recipients of list MSMAIL-L  <MSMAIL-L () YALEVM CIS YALE EDU>

Hi,  I am not sure if this message is appropriate to this list as
most seem to be technical in nature and I apoligize if it is not.

I was recently fired from my job at Revenue Canada for sending an email
message
through MSmail to a friend.  The message I sent contained an attachement
which
was a batch file that would add the following line to the
autoexec.bat file.

                smessage "Jim is a great guy"

The manger of computer services was upset that I could have changed
that line to format c: and sent this message to thousands of users at
Revenue Canada and shut down their computers.  Apparently they had
never thought of this before and were quite upset with me.  Could
this really be a security issue that no one has thought of before or
are the people in computer services at Revenue Canada not doing their
job.

They told me they were letting me go because I had modified information
systems executable instructions. - Refering to the new line in the
autoexec.bat
file.

This message was only sent to a few close friends and they all  saw
the humor in my message, and I had in the past recieved an award for
being able to update data in 2 minutes that they had been planning to
have four people spend six weeks a year doing.  And I was presently
working on a word macro to automatically get information for 6 people
who spend an hour each day doing this, when I was fired. I was a
simple clerk at the time..

As this is going to hearings April 19-21, any comments would be most
helpful.

jbanks () isn net

---- End Forwarded Message