Interesting People mailing list archives

Netsurf: learn about the Internet - student power

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 21:40:36 -0400

Posted-Date: Mon, 19 Sep 1994 21:38:49 -0400
From: mengwong () mail1 sas upenn edu (Meng Weng Wong)
Date: 19 Sep 1994 22:04:14 GMT

A short course on the Internet will be offered starting Tuesday 20th
Sept.  Taught by students for students, while not for credit, it
acquaints you with everything you should know about the tools of the
Internet, including
    * email
    * telnet
    * ftp
    * Mosaic/WWW
    * Unix

Internet expert Mike Berry will teach.  Lab classes run weekly on
Tuesday nights 7:30 - 9pm in room 144 of Towne Building.  (the PC lab
across from the BE lab)

If you want to find out how to do cool things beyond email, come.
If you are tired of answering friends' questions, tell them to come.

A parallel set of discussion sections will be held on Sundays from
5-6pm in Towne 337.  These discussions focus on the impact of
technology on society; we'll read selections from McLuhan, Toffler,
Vannevar Bush, and articles from Wired magazine.  We'll trace the
history of technology, analyzing its effects on society, and predict
the effect of the information revolution on the 21st century.  This
set of discussion sections are open to everyone interested in the
subject.

The first lab class meets Tuesday 20th Sept 7:30 - 9pm, Towne 144.
The first discussion meets Sunday 25th Sept 5 - 6pm, Towne 337.

Penn Netsurf gratefully acknowledges the assistance of the Dining Philosophers.