Interesting People mailing list archives

Kaplan.Com Finds a Home

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 1994 10:56:14 -0400

From: JOHN.TPR () review com (John Katzman)
Subject: Kaplan.Com Finds a Home
Date: Thu, 06 Oct 1994 08:47 EST

Well, our arbitration panel has ruled that The Princeton Review has to
give up our favorite internet domain, KAPLAN.COM.

As most of you guessed, our point in registering the domain was to annoy
Kaplan.  Clearly, we've done that.  At the same time, though, we wanted
to underline the fact that their sense of innovation consists of copying
our courses, marketing materials, electronic materials, etc.  When they
come on line, they'll be the second company to do business as Kaplan.Com,
just as they've been the second company to do everything else.

Now that we're done, I can tell you all that we *did* offer to sell
Kaplan Test Prep the name for a case of beer (imported OR domestic).
Unfortunately, these guys have no sense of humor, no vision, and no beer.

I apologize if we helped opened a Pandora's box.  We did *not* mean to
make InterNIC's life a living hell (by the way, has anyone registered
InterNIC.COM yet?).

John () Review Com
"The Future Owner of KRaplan.Com"