Interesting People mailing list archives

"Computer Related Risks" by Neumann

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 1994 21:49:58 -0400

 As a holder of a PERSONALLY autographed book I must concur with this
review. It is a facinating wonderfully readable book with some famous
Neuman puns djf

Date: Sun, 23 Oct 1994 20:01:52 EST
From: "Rob Slade, Ed. DECrypt & ComNet, VARUG rep" <roberts () mukluk decus ca>
Subject: "Computer Related Risks" by Neumann

BKCMRLRS.RVW  940906

"Computer-Related Risks", Neumann, 1994, 0-201-55805-X, U$24.75
neumann () csl sri com
%A   Peter G. Neumann
%C   1 Jacob Way, Reading, MA   01867-9984
%D   1994
%G   0-201-55805-X
%I   Addison-Wesley Publishing Company
%O   U$24.75 (22.25 for ACM, order no. 706943)
%P   384
%T   "Computer-Related Risks"
Heather Rignanesi, Marketing, x340, 73171.657 () Compuserve com
Barbara Warren, Marketing barbarw () aw com
Tiffany Moore, Publicity  tiffanym () aw com
800-822-6339
617-944-3700
Fax: (617) 944-7273

Every technologist should, at some point in the educational process, be
required to read this book.  (The preceding proviso is, unfortunately, subject
to the risk that said technologist may fail to grasp the book's underlying
lessons.)

Peter G. Neumann is well known to the members of the Association for Computing
Machinery (ACM), but to thousands more he is known as moderator of the RISKS-
FORUM Digest electronic mailing list (or its Usenet mirror, comp.risks).
(RISKS is notable for the quality and interest of its material, and is a
recommended mailing list for all newcomers to the Internet, regardless of their
areas of interest.)  This work is not merely a compilation, but a distillation
of the type of material discussed on RISKS.  The occasional item is not
strictly computer related (an ongoing RISKS discussion itself), but all
demonstrate the variety of ways in which technology may constitute a hazard.

Written primarily in the format of a textbook for an academic environment, the
material is not only readable but fascinating for a non-technical audience.
The end notes, challenge questions and bibliography make it an excellent choice
for any course dealing with security, safety or general systems development
issues.

(We interrupt this review to note that PGN is able to write over two-and-a-half
pages of the Preface before we find the first pun.  By the end of Chapter two,
he is in full flight.  I refer you to "Tempest Puget, or The Sound and the
Ferries" for full multi-model, cliche-referential punning entries.)

As well as system and software engineering students, this book should have a
place on the desk of anyone involved in a technology development project.  It
*can* happen here.

copyright Robert M. Slade, 1994   BKCMRLRS.RVW  940906   604-984-4067
DECUS Canada Communications, Desktop, Education and Security group newsletters
Editor and/or reviewer ROBERTS () decus ca, RSlade () sfu ca, Rob Slade at 1:153/733
Author "Robert Slade's Guide to Computer Viruses" (Oct. '94) Springer-Verlag

    [Thanks, Rob!  PGN]