Interesting People mailing list archives

First reactions -- the Sony Magic Link

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Sun, 9 Oct 1994 18:55:30 -0400

I bought (yes BOUGHT) one of the new Sony Magic Link Personal Communicator
and received it last Thursday [courtesy of Mark Laubach in Calif who ran
over to Frys].

The Sony is a light weight (~ 1 lb) hand held Personal Communicator. It has
a touch screen with pen (or use your fingers), about 1 meg of internal
memory (500 k battery backed), used General Magic's software, has a 2400
internal modem (9600 send fax) and one PCMCIA slot.

Bottom line -- damn good.

Applications include a email system which initially at least can use ATT's
new mail delivery system or AOL. Both offer internet mail and/or internal
mail. Registration on the ATT system (I had a AOL account already) was very
very smooth, hastle free and fast. All is done via email. Both services
offer news etc. the ATT news service has a nifty graphic weather etc. I
have not yet seen how to get that from AOL.

Updates to both the system and appliciation software and new items come
via email.

It has a note system, telephone directory and calendar, spelling corrector
and games . They are very well done and feature lots of options, graphics
etc. I have found no surprises and no bumps.

Sony offers a small external keyboard (waiting for it at this point), a
telephone headset that turns the unit into a phone also and some day (dont
hold your breath) a printer etc. One can get a SkyPage card for paging
input etc.

It uses either 6 AAA batteries (6 hours) or the TR500 Video Camera lithium
Ion battery with 10 hours and fast change. No power problems!!!!

It does not do handwriting recognition but it DOES have a keyboard.
I am seriously thinking when I get the keyboard to use it as the only
system when I travel and maybe even locally. I filter important mail to it.

Negatives, slightly crummy case (better one real soon now) and a very very
funny lack of coordination  at the Sony 800 number. They tell you
accessories are mainly available only from the 800 numbe (not true) done
tell you you can get the rechargeables at any camera store and then tell
you that your hot new machine will have to wait 4 to 6 weeks after you
order items for delivery of items they have in stock.

Warrenty is ONE year with a 90 day software warrentee!

Again the normal problem with Japanese companies, excellent hardware,
miixed up customer service but at least this time real good (I suspect US
produced software)

Bottom line -- best I have used by far (want to buy a newton?). A big
winner if Sony comes out with promised peripherals and fixed their 800
service.

More latter

Dave