Interesting People mailing list archives

I got a yen for time :-)

From: David Farber <farber () central cis upenn edu>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 20:05:20 -0500

Maybe we should send a copy to the guy in texas.

Posted-Date: Fri, 18 Nov 1994 19:55:18 -0500
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 94 15:08:02 PST
From: chuck () myri com (Charles L. Seitz)
To: farber () central cis upenn edu
Subject: Re:  The last time I saw this idea was back in the
60s for main frame time. Wonder if the researcher even
referenced it -- bet not

Right, Dave.  Ivan Sutherland wrote one such paper, whose title was
something like "A free market for computer time."
  While working part-time for Ivan at Harvard in the late 60s while I
was grad student at MIT, I used to bid for computer time.  The bidding
units were called "yen," on the basis that "if you had a "yen" to use
the computer...  --Chuck